pmnewlon

Well Known Member
I am noodling the addition of a leading edge landing light (duckworks?) in my RV4. The wingtips are riveted on, so the only way to get wiring out to the last bay is through the large rib holes. (I was hoping to be able to pull a new set of wires in with the existing wiring for the position lights / strobe but that isn't going to happen. They run through grommets in the ribs but are tie wrapped along the way and won't move.) Anyone have a suggestion how to protect the wires from the edges of the ribs since I can't secure them in place except at the fuselage and the last rib where I cut the leading edge hole?

Thanks!

Phil

Adel?

I... Anyone have a suggestion how to protect the wires from the edges of the ribs since I can't secure them in place except at the fuselage and the last rib where I cut the leading edge hole?

Thanks!

Phil

Can you attach an adel clamp of approprite caliber (perhaps loose fit should another wire or an AOA tube be needed later) at the lightening holes and run the wire through them?

Phil, we had to remove the tips on my buddy's -4...

..in order to relocate the aileron attach brackets, so he simply drilled all the pop rivets carefully...didn't take long and it will allow you to insert a small diameter pvc tube from the wingroot to the tip, that will protect those wires very well and it really only needs to be tied at the root, near the center (accessible from the inspection plate) and at the tip.

Best,

Speaking of this

I had a wild hair idea to make retractible landing lights in the tips of my 7a,

Using a light weight spotlight on an hingable self that was lowered from under the wingtip on a servo.
This would be a nice addition to the wig wags and should be pretty lightweight.

Maybe..:)

Frank

wire run in wings.

I have seen the wires run in 3/8ths poly tube (like the brake lines ) and put in from the cockpit end. They secured it well at the aileron bellcrank /short pushrod area thorugh the access cover , and also secured well at the spar holes through the landing light hole (before the rear baffel was in place) . The tube is really tough and flexible enough so it it can be inserted from the cockpit / wing root end. use large enough tube so it has some air around the wire for cooling.
hope this helps Dan
ps ive heard of guys removing ths fuel tanks and running wires behind them. The early -4 plans show installing the tip with rivets... so this has been done before!

Last edited:
This sounds reasonable to me, good idea. The duckworks guys suggested pulling the tanks, which I really don't want to do at the moment. I am completely rewiring the airplane with the exception of the nav/strobes and have enough on my plate now! :D

Phil

I have seen the wires run in 3/8ths poly tube (like the brake lines ) and put in from the cockpit end. They secured it well at the aileron bellcrank /short pushrod area thorugh the access cover , and also secured well at the spar holes through the landing light hole (before the rear baffel was in place) . The tube is really tough and flexible enough so it it can be inserted from the cockpit / wing root end. use large enough tube so it has some air around the wire for cooling.
hope this helps Dan
ps ive heard of guys removing ths fuel tanks and running wires behind them. The early -4 plans show installing the tip with rivets... so this has been done before!