ArjanPlomp

Hi all,
With all the LOP discussions and the savings involved, I wonder how much effort it would be to retrofit an injection system. How much work would be involved?
We have an aerosport power O-360 A1A.

Any insight would be appreciated. Saving 1 gln/hr at $4.00 might we worth it.

Thanks,
Arjan Plomp
N83SE, RV8

Not a big deal at all. Airflow Performance has a complete bolt on kit with everything you need to convert. Don

It was quite a bit of work and lots of $$ but I justified it when fuel was $4.50 a gal that it would be a 2 year payback. Along with the FI kit you also need both fuel pumps, new fuel/mix cables purge cable (AFP sys), all new fuel lines (not cheap), fuel filter (I rmvd the gascolator and installed an inline flowezy), possibly new fuel pressure gauge/sender, make new brackets for cables etc., anyway you get the idea!

I used a Weldon high pressure pump (which I feel is a better pump than the AFP) and mounted it on the firewall (inside under pass rudder pedals) so I did not have to install the "box" where the AFP fuel pump normally goes.

Would I do it again, yes... but then again I get bored easy and am always looking for something to "improve". LOP operations now are smoother than ever and overall engine runs smoother. I ran a carb for a long time which is a nice simple install and very reliable, I could run LOP with the carb but the rough running would start around peak EGT and often caused me to richen it up just to smooth it out.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi all,
With all the LOP discussions and the savings involved, I wonder how much effort it would be to retrofit an injection system. How much work would be involved?
We have an aerosport power O-360 A1A.

Any insight would be appreciated. Saving 1 gln/hr at $4.00 might we worth it.

Thanks,
Arjan Plomp
N83SE, RV8

I'm finding the savings more like 3 gal/hr.

If you are looking at going to electronic fuel injection, A company in California just started flight testing two weeks ago of a bolt on system which does complete fuel and ignition. This uses our flight/ Reno race proven electronics first flown in 1994. Kits should be available for both O-320 and O-360 Lycomings.

Dual electric pumps and fuel return lines to the tanks are required.

Now you've done it

If you are looking at going to electronic fuel injection, A company in California just started flight testing two weeks ago of a bolt on system which does complete fuel and ignition. This uses our flight/ Reno race proven electronics first flown in 1994. Kits should be available for both O-320 and O-360 Lycomings.

Dual electric pumps and fuel return lines to the tanks are required.

You mentioned dueal electric pumps!..Let the flames begin...:)

Actually some money can be saved over an AFP conversion..Pumps are available at NAPA for $130 each and all the hoses (and fittings) can be bought (with steel ends) from your local Hydraulics shoppe...be sure to specify the teflon hoses...

Not using a mechanical fuel pump is a given in my very humble opinion which will allow the use of mogas with (almost) zero risk of vapour lock.

Frank

Time to do the numbers

Thanks all for your input. I need to do the numbers, financially and work involved. It may be worth, but only if it would allow LOP operations.
Arjan Plomp

Thanks all for your input. I need to do the numbers, financially and work involved. It may be worth, but only if it would allow LOP operations.
Arjan Plomp

Another thing to consider - LOP is smoother and/or more achievable with EI. When I had the Lasar system, I did a bit of experimenting with LOP using the straight mags of the system vs the EI, something that could only be done with that system (easy to turn off the EI and revert to mags from the cockpit). I concluded then that there was no real advantage to EI when ROP, but a fairly noticeable advantage with EI when LOP.

This said, there is still a big advantage to LOP even with only mags. I just know that the leaner, lower pressure (lower MAP) charge is harder to ignite with aviation spark plugs as compared to a more advanced, auto type spark plug with its larger gap.

You mentioned dueal electric pumps!..Let the flames begin...:)

Actually some money can be saved over an AFP conversion..Pumps are available at NAPA for $130 each and all the hoses (and fittings) can be bought (with steel ends) from your local Hydraulics shoppe...be sure to specify the teflon hoses...

Not using a mechanical fuel pump is a given in my very humble opinion which will allow the use of mogas with (almost) zero risk of vapour lock.

Frank

Frank, what do you use for a check valve, as well as a pressure relief valve to regulate pressure with the NAPA pump?

Hello Ross,

Any link to this company in California you mention? Will they be at Osh?

Thanks

These people are keeping a low profile until all testing is complete and bugs worked out. They won't be using their first clients as beta testers. In other words, they are doing it how it should be done. They are convinced there is a solid market for a reasonably priced, proven EMS for experimentals already. I'll check and see if they plan to take the demo aircraft to Osh this year and report back.

Floor mounted electric pumps have been extensively proven in low wing aircraft now- no vapor lock issues to date on mogas with proper layout and the right type of pumps.

Last edited:
Experimental EFI

I've contacted the company involved and have the OK to post more information for those interested: www.flyefii.com

Tel (951)317-3473 Email: [email protected]

To be clear here, this is an integrated fuel injection and spark control system, more along the lines of a FADEC. The same basic system I've been flying my RV with for the last 5 years.

Last edited: