Seabird

Hi all,
My husband and I recently purchased an RV-8 with steam gauges and are considering transitioning to glass. We're perhaps most interested in the new Dynon Skyview system. Has anyone installed glass in an 8 as a retro-fit? or is anyone in this process?
How did/do you rout the plumbing in your plane? What problems did you encounter? Solutions?? Thanks for any help.
Barbara and Bill:confused:

Congratulations guys.....

...on your purchase....good decision.

I've helped finish a -4 and saw an -8 go together, both with glass. All the plumbing you need is already run from the wings and static port but when you re-do your panel, use the really nice push-in Pitot/static fittings that Safeair1 and also Stein sells. There are no threaded ends to tighten, simply push in the pitot or static lines. To remove the lines, you press a little collar and the lines slide out...elegant solution.

http://www.safeair1.com/PS_1.htm

Best,

Like all changes, approach it slowly, allow yourself time to adjust

Yesterday, a friend flew my Dynon glass panel equipped 9A. His experience is limited to steam and so he suggested we install both steam and glass in the 6A we're building for him.

"Resist the idea", I replied. The transition to glass will be fast and easily accomplished by sitting in the airplane and studying with someone already familiar with his new instruments. For the first few flights, make them straight and level in good weather so that you can get used to the new gauges & take along a safety pilot so someone is looking out the window.

Bring the manual along so you can go thru the settings after every time you land. The Dynons are "feature rich" so take it slowly until you determine that configuration most suitable for your flying.

Given two sources of dc power plus internal batteries, two compasses and redundant efis, my friend will quickly find that steam was unnecessary.

Last edited:
Say, Barb......

....you didn't mention whether or not you have an instrument rating or whether or not you plan on becoming instrument rated. My reason for asking is that I was old school, having soloed in '67 and IFR qualified by 1969 and only used steam gauges 'til now!!

I have to say that's it's been a pleasure for me and I have two Dynon's that came with the plane. Last Sunday, I shot my first IMC approach, using the HSI split screen on the Dynon and it was so much easier than scanning 7 round gauges, plus the winds aloft shown on the screen helps staying centered on the localizer.

You're gonna love it:)

Best,