SmittysRV

Well Known Member
We're looking forward to our next trip this year to Oshkosh, AirVenture, that is... Airplanes, Movie Stars. Oops, sorry. I just had a flashback to the Beverly Hillbillies.

Anyway, we started going to Oshkosh in 2005 and have been going back every year since then. My wife and I are both in our late 50's and we have a 13 year old son, who keeps us young (we have a choice?). My son loves to camp out. Give him a pup-tent and a sleeping bag and he's set. However, my wife and I are true wienies. We like a soft pudgy bed and a non-damp atmosphere.

The first year we went to Oshkosh, I found a room at a motel that was 13 miles away and felt lucky to get it. I made the reservation 6 months in advance after going through multiple listings that were "booked up". They charged me an outrageous price per a night, but I didn't care, I was finally at Oshkosh.

The next year we decided to camp out like a lot of people do. The price was right and besides, I've always heard that camping out was really a lot of fun and you're right there in the middle of what's going on.

We bought a tent and some camping supplies and headed out. When we got there, we opened up the new tent bag and started to try to put the darn thing together. I think the instructions must have been written by Picasso. It was a large tent, with all those criss-cross flexible poles, multiple flaps and openings. After about an hour of cussing and discussing, not to mention the approaching darkness, we started to freak. "What the heck do we do now?"

About that time 2 gentlemen came over and said "You guys need help? We have a tent just like that one."

"Yes sir!!" I replied.

I let them take over and soon we had the tent set up. I offered to pay them but they refused. Nice guys. They did, however, didn't blink when I offered them a beer. We tipped our aluminum cans together and toasted our accomplishment.

Then, out in the distance we heard "Rummmmmmble". Oh ****, it's a thunderstorm. Batten down the hatches Matie!

What a night. Pouring rain, tent seams that were leaking, and the Beer Barn right across the street with band music blaring till 2 in the morning, not to mention the eighteen wheelers screaming down the highway all night.

I didn't get much sleep the first two nights, but after that I was so tired that I went comatose and all was well. No more tents for this family. Like I said, we're wienies.

The years after that we went back to staying in motels, but it just wasn't the same.

This year, we are going to get an RV. Prices are down, making things really affordable. We talked with a number of RVr's at Oshkosh and they recommended it highly. Luckily I have just enough room in my hangar to store a small motorized RV, which means no storage fee. Back to the Oshkosh campgrounds! We are all excited!

See you at Oshkosh! We'll be the rested, wide-eye wienies with the dry clothes!

I don't know how to thank you enough, Smitty. I hadn't even started to plan my trip to Oshkosh and I just realized it's already JANUARY! Gotta get in gear. We do the tent thing and love it, but I do remember the downpour of '06 (wow, doesn't that sound like I'm an oldtimer?) Our tent was next to this really nice RV--seemed like about a 60 footer that probably had a full basement. As we attempted to dry all our stuff, I asked the owner if his tent leaked. Now you too can have that smug look! Enjoy...

Bob Kelly

This year, we are going to get an RV. Prices are down, making things really affordable.

For a moment there I thought I read "RV" as in Van's RV.... and checked the posted date 2 or 3 times to make sure I was not readings a 3 year's old post!

But it's a great idea. Last year, me some co-workers (~30 people) went to an air show and the plan was to camp out. One off the guy came with his RV and all laughed at the qty of gas he wasted to get there.... until the night came. Big storm, water everywhere.... I would have paid this guy's gas 2x to sleep in his RV :)

We fly to OSH, so RV camping isn't an option.
But have found the U of W dorms give us a dry
place to sleep. $50/night, weekly bus ticket $20
to and from the airport.

Tom

We fly to OSH, so RV camping isn't an option.
But have found the U of W dorms give us a dry
place to sleep. $50/night, weekly bus ticket $20
to and from the airport.

Tom

Actually, it is an option......

There are places that will deliver a RV, trailer, and/or pop up to OSH and have it ready for you. They will pick it up afterwards too. That's what I did last year. It isn't cheap and is about the same or slightly more than a hotel. However, the short walk back to a bed and A/C for an afternoon nap sure was nice.

bob

Actually, it is an option......

There are places that will deliver a RV, trailer, and/or pop up to OSH and have it ready for you. They will pick it up afterwards too. That's what I did last year. It isn't cheap and is about the same or slightly more than a hotel. However, the short walk back to a bed and A/C for an afternoon nap sure was nice.

You can also mail your camping gear to Osh and pick it up when you get there. From the Airventure website: http://www.airventure.org/planning/services.html#POSTAL SERVICES

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]POSTAL SERVICES[/FONT][FONT=Arial, helvetica] AND SHIPPING INFORMATION
[/FONT]
Map of pick-up locations
If you would like to ship items to yourself to pick up when you arrive at AirVenture, including camping gear, there are two options. Please note that these options are not for exhibitor/vendor use.
  1. If you would like to mail or ship something to yourself via the United States Post Office (they will accept camping gear) please click here for details.
  2. If you would like to ship items, including camping gear, via a different shipping company, such as (UPS, FedEx, etc.), please click here for more detailed information.

Being somewhat of a whimp (and being 70 years old), on my first visit to Osh, I pulled the travel trailer and parked it in an RV park (with full hook-ups) on the shore of the lake. About a 15 minute drive from the Airventure site, and away from the noise, etc. I think that camping on site would be neat, but don't like the idea of using the generator and holding tanks for a week.

Generator

Me and my teenage son volunteer in the campground every year (this will be my 25th OSH). I work in the "24 hour generator" area, within the campground. If you have a generator on whatever you rent, and want to use it on those hot muggy nights, its the place to be! Look me up, I am right next to the Camper Locator Shack!

We stay with a local family for $40 a night. B-fast, washer & dryer, A/C, beer, good company & QUIET! They are like family to us now and we look forward to renewing the relationship every year. It might be for you to look into this.

Geico,

Where can I get info on staying with a family. I've heard its a pretty good way to do Oshkosh............

Thx,

Mark Malone
Houston,TX
RV7...Still getting the garage er shop together.:D

OSH task list

1. Schedule time off from work. COMPLETE
2. Inspect camping equipment (check tent seams). HOLD
3. Purchase new comfy shoes (skip the velcro laces). IN WORK
4. Condition inspection due 5/31/09. HOLD

North 40 bound,
Steve

On Tents and Oshkosh

I totally understand your notes about leaky tents being a bummer - and it sounds like using a land RV will work great for you. But for others considering tenting it for the first time I'd like to add a few notes.

For my 'other' flying hobby I paraglide and as I've gotten more into competitions, I've started going out for weekend comps every third week. Almost always this means hiking to launch and camping in a tent. I've finally got the camping thing totally nailed down - so that it is essentially as comfortable as home ;).

Tips for camping at Oshkosh:
  • The only way to _know_ that your new tent is leak free and easy to assemble is to buy a really good tent (like REI, or Kelty - btw - I think REI has a large sale on now).
  • If you buy a target or equivalent tent, you will save a lot of money. Spend some of that money on a tube of seam sealer and setup the tent in the backyard and apply the seam sealer liberally. (You'll probably then be happier just buying a real good tent)
  • Put a tarp or footprint under the tent (ensures pools of water outside don't try to get in on the bottom)
  • Folding chairs are a must
  • Oshkosh = thunderstorms, install the optional guy lines to pegs per instructions
  • Top quality sleeping bags will frequently pack much smaller than the cheap brands - quite relevant if you are putting them in the RV. Same story for tents.
  • Derate any sleeping bag temperature claims by 20 degrees (30 degrees if you are a cold sleeper). A "30 degree bag" in thirty degree weather apparently means "you won't die and you might be able to sleep :cool:".
  • If you like a firm mattress a basic thermarest (or equivalent) between the bag and ground is fine. If you want something softer go for a thicker thermarest.
  • Bring a thermos and small stove if you wanna make your own coffee, soup etc...
  • A good collapsible cooler packs easily into the RV and you can add the ice (once) when you get to osh.
  • Sausage is the perfect camping meat - doesn't need much cooling, spicy, cooks easily
If you are in the SF Bay area, I have a friend at Mtn Hrdware and I can go with you to their private store - where everything is a little more than 50% off. Their stuff us usally quite expensive but this lowers it to sub target pricing - and their tents & sleeping bags are amazing.

Last edited:
Does it rain heavily pretty much every year at Oshkosh? I would be game for flying in and camping except for the worry of a water-soaked sleeping bag and airplane.

Does it rain heavily pretty much every year at Oshkosh?
Yes. Every year without exception. If you stay for the full week, you are certain to face at least one monsoon. If you just go for a couple days you might get lucky, but you might not. Some years are wetter than others, but even in the dry years you should plan on one good soaking.

The residents who like to host visitors usually list their names at the housing bureau-part of EAA I think. Been staying with the same nice lady for more than 20 years. What a great way to be in Oshkosh.

Last year was really perfect weather. A few threats, but we never got the dreaded overnight gullywasher.

I'll probably do the campground again this year. However, it's become a tradition now -- and a great one -- to spend one happy hour with the guys from Trio Avionics at the house they rent on Lake Winnebago. Man, that looks like the life. I suspect we'll start renting a house on the lake one of these days.

Will be interesting to see how the "new" campgrounds stack up,

Well...through the years I think we've done just abou everything. As my business grew and the number of people I take grew, so did our lodging requirements. We did the popup camper thing, tents, motor homes and travel trailers. Now we rent a house (and yes....it's on the lake), but we most recently prior to that did rent a travel trailer from one of the places the dropped it off and picked it up right in the campground...smooth as can be and REALLY easy! I love camping, and even though we now rent a house (just due to the number of people we have there) I still spend a fair amount of time after show hrs hanging out with people in the campground. That being said, it sure is nice to crash in an air conditioned room with a real bed after spending long days in the exhibit hangars....try that for the entire week! Even though we can and occasionally cook breakfast at our rental house, I really try to support one of the EAA chapters that does breakfasts.

The campground is great, and if I weren't working the entire week it would be my choice. But, the other vendors will tell you that by the end of the week we're all zombies. Last year was the first year we had a house and it made a HUGE difference in how we felt throughout the show.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents!

Cheers,
Stein

Does it rain heavily pretty much every year at Oshkosh? I would be game for flying in and camping except for the worry of a water-soaked sleeping bag and airplane.

If you have a canopy cover and close it every night, you'll have a dry seat. You might want to check your fuel tank caps and make sure they don't leak water. If in doubt put tape over them to keep water out. Generally, no problems with the plane.

Can't speak to the sleeping bag thing, only to say the prop makes a nice clothes line. :D

Although I enjoy lightweight backpacking and used most of that equipment when I stayed in the home built section I do utilize a modern convenience. An inflatable mattress which fits wall to wall inside a QUALITY tent will keep you high and dry. All your stuff can stay in the plane, car, etc. or live on top of your floating island. Just leave enough room for you and your stuff.

I hate you guys.

Reading this thread has gotten me into serious summer-time withdrawal.

On 9/25/02 my youngest son was born, and after the hospital stay with my wife and Evan home safe and in good hands, I told my wife I'd be back in a few hours. :) I still managed to make it for brief period.

I can't wait to go, I consider getting wet and not sleeping well part of a yearly rite of passage.

Been there, done that, got the water stains to prove it!

I've been attending Oshkosh for about 15 years now. A couple of times by myself with a small two-man KMart special tent and sleeping bag, once with my (then) 65 year old father in a WalMart four-man tent. Recently, I found a place to rent a pop-up and used that for two years. Finally bought my own RV (with two axles/four tires) for the past couple of trips.

I remember lying on the floor of the tent with my father, listening to the local ham radio operators ramping up a rescue mission for "all them campers over at the airport" as the wind blew the buckets of water sideways into the tent. That was also the year that it was so hot and humid that my dad sat in the car with the AC running for about 6 hours/day! I think it was the following year that I began renting an RV!

Looking back, I remember the wet nights, the soggy sleeping bags, and the terror as the wind starts pulling up stakes while you're still inside the tent, but I would do it again, and again, and again.

Quick, someone needs to remind me of the definition of insanity...:D

I violate my own rules

Two years ago I said to myself - no Oshkosh until airworthy. Skipped 08. I feel so out of track and decided to go this year. Booked university dorm room and waiting for this hot muggy July to come...

Last year was really perfect weather. A few threats, but we never got the dreaded overnight gullywasher.
Bob, you must've come late or left early. I can't remember which night (they all blur together after a while) but we did get some serious rain this year. It certainly rained on Sunday afternoon and threatened the wind-down party, but the skies cleared just in time for the party.

Now, if you want to talk about serious rain, you only have to go back to 2005, the year of the Oshkosh Flood-In. Here's a couple of morning after shots from Homebuilt Camping following one of the monsoons.

DSC01051%20(Medium).JPG

DSC01055%20(Medium).JPG

Going back after 1 yr layoff

My daughter Samantha and I are going back after a 1 yr layoff. This will be our third year attending and is considered our father/daughter time. She is a junior in HS and next year at Oshkosh time we will be getting ready to send her off to college but hopefully we can claim that as our fourth OSH together. We camp indoors at the Y so our campsite doesn't flood when the storms roll in and we have A/C, no waiting for showers plus the pool. I remember the heavy rains in 2006 when we were leaving to head home and was thankful I wasn't camping outdoors. It sold me on the indoor camping method. We do drive back and forth to the fly in but the Y does offer transportation to/from as well. It just doesn't allow me to socialize like I want if I have to stay on the Y bus schedule. I'm sure at some point Samantha might start to not like this camping method but for now its working for us. If it does rain we can be seen walking the grounds in our Shamu rain ponchos.

Doug are you going to start a Vansairforce Oshkosh band? Osh is quite aways to have to haul musical instruments.

For those of you that have rented an RV(camper type), could you post a number or a web site to check into such.

There are dozens of them in the area from my research last year.

The largest selection is in Madison and Green Bay. There are a couple places in Appleton. Just google "rv rentals oshkosh".

I rented from Van Boxtel in Greenbay.

Be forewarned, the rates get jacked up the week of OSH and someplaces have minimum rental periods. I think the least expensive Class B I found was $1,700. I ended up with a 26' travel trailer for about $880 delivered and picked up for the week.

Oh, and if haven't already reserved an unit, you are probably too late.

Camping is not my Thing

The last time my wife went with me to Oshkosh was around 1975 or 76. We had just sold our plane so we motored out on our brand new Gold Wing from New England.
Stayed at the dorms, and that worked great as bikes at that time parked right up against the main gate, and we could whiz back and forth from the show to the dorms in good time whenever we felt like it.
Last time I was there, I took the single seat One Design and stayed with friends in a large trailer at the camp grounds. Between the snoring and heat, I spent most of the night walking around the campgrounds until exhaustion allowed me to return to the nasal crooning and for much needed sleep.
My wife and I plan on returning this year for a few days with the 9A, and are thinking about the dorms again. We'll not be able to determine our departure for OSH until a few days before because of family matters.
I've heard that as recent as last year, people were able to walk-in and find rooms at the dorms, altho they might not be the air-conditioned ones.
We would appreciate any suggestions on staying at the dorms from readers who have been there in the past few years.
Thanks
Jack
RV9A
78 hours

Last edited:
Ground tarp Inside Tent!

When at OSH (the only place I camp) I put the tarp on the inside of the tent. If it's on the outside, it functions as a rain collector, and, if you have a cheap tent (like me), soaks everything inside from the bottom up. Also, in the North 40, try to pitch your tent on higher ground, not in a depression. You'd think that would be obvious, but.... :rolleyes:

I was there when other tents were rolling across 09/27.

What's OSH without a little wx? :D

re: rental

I'v been going to OSH for the past 8 years, I think. It's rained a pretty good downpour every year at least one evening.
My folks live in western Oklahoma and have rented from Van Boxtel for the past 2 or 3 years and have been very satisfied.
My wife, 2 daughters & I leave OKC with the 5th wheel, usually on Thursday evening, so I arrive on Saturday afternoon. My parents, they're 77 & 78 years old, schedule the travel trailer to be delivered on Sunday so I can help get it positioned next to mine so we have our "campsite" set up for us for the week. Later in the week, my 2 brothers fly up from OKC in the 9A, if the weather permits, to finish out the week. This is probably the best family time we have all year. We all depart for home on Saturday. Guess who gets home first?:)

Jeff & Barb at Sleepy Hollow Farm are just wonderful people. We've stayed with them since we started going to OSH. They go out of their way to accomodate you/us. Sleepy Hollow is only 1/2 mile from the main gate. This past year they started a shuttle service (golf cart) to/from the grounds. They also have cabins for rent.
They have electric & water hookups for RVs. If you need your holding tanks emptied, you leave payment with "the front desk" & they'll arrange for the sucker to come out. You don't have to be there for them. They also have shower facilities at the campground. We use them so we don't fill our tanks so quickly.

This arrangement has worked out very well for us. We've never woke up to soggy sleeping bags.:D Haven't had to wait for showers. And we enjoy cooking outside. You just can't beat fried potatos on the Coleman stove.

Anyway, that's my rant and I'm stickin' to it. See ya at OSH, We'll be "stall" 42 or 47? at Sleepy Hollow Farm.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/panel

.....My wife and I plan on returning this year for a few days with the 9A, and are thinking about the dorms again. We'll not be able to determine our departure for OSH until a few days before because of family matters.
I've heard that as recent as last year, people were able to walk-in and find rooms at the dorms, altho they might not be the air-conditioned ones.
We would appreciate any suggestions on staying at the dorms from readers who have been there in the past few years.
Thanks
Jack
RV9A
78 hours

Jack,
In 07 I came to OSH without booking (but had plan B to stay with international buddies on the grounds). Showed up at the Conference Center and asked. Got the room. One floor up from the shower. Next room also was not occupied for four days. Food was good and plenty at the Dining Hall for $12 and bus was always waiting. $4 round trip. The only thing is there is no AC but some people have brought their own.

Jack,
In 07 I came to OSH without booking (but had plan B to stay with international buddies on the grounds). Showed up at the Conference Center and asked. Got the room. One floor up from the shower. Next room also was not occupied for four days. Food was good and plenty at the Dining Hall for $12 and bus was always waiting. $4 round trip. The only thing is there is no AC but some people have brought their own.
Thanks Vlad
That's what we'll probably to with sleeping in the 9A as plan B!!
Jack