dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I am going to use Marhyde, a self etching primer from a spray can. Can you give me some guidance on type of respirator I should use and where to get one.

Check ebay for 07192

End time: May 7, 2013, 3:49:43 PM MDT

View item:
3M Medium Dual Organic Vapor Cartridge

I hope you aren't trying to use it on aluminum, right? It's for steel with rust. I would think the instructions on the can would have the info.

John

In the manual that came with the Kit it indicates Marhyde is one of many primers that can be used for corrosion resistance. I thought this also meant on aluminum.

I hope you aren't trying to use it on aluminum, right? It's for steel with rust. I would think the instructions on the can would have the info.

John

Mar-Hyde is just the brand name (3M Brand BTW) , they make products for steel and aluminum. I haven't used it myself, but here is the info from the website.

Mar-Hyde? Single Stage? Self-Etching Primer
A ready-to-spray, pretreatment/primer that provides excellent corrosion protection and creates a superior bond to most metals by chemically etching the surface of the panel. It is solvent resistant.
Full Description ?
Excellent adhesion to aluminum, bare steel, galvanized steel and fiberglass. Can be topcoated with all automotive primers and paint systems. Ready-to-spray VOC of 6.4 lb/gal. USEPA National Rule and California Rule 1151 compliant.

I like the 3M 7500 series half face respirators - comfortable fit and various cartridges to choose from. I ordered on line for price and size availability (S, M, L) - all the ones I could find in stores were medium and a less comfortable (to me) model. Works great for particulate filtering (fiberglass) and moderate VOCs (paint, MEK, etc).

==dave==

Ditto 3M. I bought the 52P71 at Lowes Depot. Fits great, absolutely air-tight. Cost anywhere from $20 - $30-ish. Shop it around.

52369d3d-1506-491f-a8b0-5252b11837b3.jpg

The half face masks have a protection factor of 10. The full face air purifying mask has a factor of 50. Depending on how well your ventilation system is, and what poisons you are spraying, and breathing, I would go full face. Or a fresh air hood. just saying.....

North Full Face

I spent this past weekend putting primer on. I wore a North Full-Face mask the whole time, with P100 Carbon cartridges in it. I was comfortable, and couldn't smell anything until I walked out of the hangar and took the respirator off. keep in mind the half-mask respirators don't do anything to protect your eyes. If there's a solvent in the paint or primer that is an eye irritant, a half-mask will protect your lungs, but not your eyes.