trib

Well Known Member
Hopefully someone has an easy solution to this question. How do you clean your respirator from paint overspray? I didn't want to jump to using thinner in case it could turn the viewing portion opaque. This concerns a full mask for air fed use for such as urethane paints. I've been putting clear packing tape over a portion and removing this each time, but still managed to get some overspray I would like to remove.

Any helpful hints? :confused:

I've used "Goo-Gone" (the orange liquid or gel stuff) to remove adhesive from plastic without damage. Works pretty well on paint, too, although I'm not sure how well it would work on catalyzed stuff. You can get it cheaply from the grocery store, Wal-Mart, etc.

You are smart to keep solvents away from the lens. It will craze

I'm surprised that the lens on a mask intended for protection from solvents would not stand up to solvent exposure. I would call the manufacturer and ask them what to use.

I'm surprised that the lens on a mask intended for protection from solvents would not stand up to solvent exposure. I would call the manufacturer and ask them what to use.

The Survivair Opti-Fit mask I used is multi-purpose, not painting specific, and uses a polycarbonate lens. I'm not sure about others. I think the lens would pretty much have to be glass to be impervious to most solvents. Light weight and shatterproof properties probably trump solvent resistance for most of their customers. With the peel-off covers it's a non-issue. The mask I used belonged to our EAA chapter and had some crazing in areas before I got it, so I assume someone had used solvent on it. Nice mask by the way, especially the side-mount with forced air.
http://www.survivair.com/images/downloads/SP_Opti-Fit_Convertible_DS.pdf

The mask I have is an MSA combo mask that one of the members here found a deal on when a fire dept was renewing their gear. It works great, but was not manufactured for painting and I don't think contacting the manufacturer will be very easy. I was hoping someone had a trade secret to clean the mask. I'm happy with the use of shipping tape. The 3M stuff is very clear and on-hand. Only problem was I have a bit of overspray from the first use, before I figured out that I need to have some type of removable protective cover. I'll try the goo-gone. If that doesn't work, I'll just try some thinner in an area on the edge that won't be in my normal field of view.

Still hoping for some feedback from someone who has been here before and knows what works!

Try Clay Magic

Clay magic works on most overspray on windscreens. I have also had good results with a cloth that is called "Dakota Waxer". Not sure if it is still available. Just 23 years of experience.

Clay magic is the winner!

Thanks Terry

I was at the local paint shop the day after you replied, purchasing a gallon of thinner for gun cleaning. I glanced over at the nearby shelf and just happened to see clay magic. Figured I'd give it a try and picked up a bar of the "fine" grade. Shock set in when my $10 gallon of thinner became $35 :eek:. $25 for a bar of clay was not what I was expected. At this point it was continue on- or admit being an amateur who didn't expect to pay this price. Couldn't admit that, so I ponied up the money. Turns out it did a great job. Good thing this wasn't what I used for molding the intersection fairings.:D