Geico266

Well Known Member
Do I need to reskin the whole trailing edge outster skin, or can I skin the small damaged area 3" x 30" and make a patch from a new outer skin?

Basically, would it be better to "patch" the skin or replace the whole section? The only damaged area is the 3" x 30" trailing edge from the rear spar back where the aileron sits. The "seam" would (hopefully) look like the over lapped area joining the inner & outer skin.

I'm concerned about getting a good rivet job not being able to get at the top skin rivets from the back side. I would have to lay the skin down and start inboard and work my way out. Not sure if that is a good idea.

Anyone have any experience reskining?

Any suggestions / pictures / advice / greatly appreciated from the VAF Squadron.

Last edited:
Wing Skin Repairs

Hi I have an RV6 that is flying. My flap adjustment was such that at full extension the flap forward skin was barely under the wing skin. The flap got bumped when down and when I retracted it for take off I crunched the rear edge of the wing skin and ruined the flap skin. I could not stretched wing trailing edge to lay down flat. I cut a 5 by 1 3/4 inch section out of the skin trailing edge. By carefully filing the patch I obtained a very close fit. I used a 3/4 inch wide doubler doubler near the rear spar with room for some flush rivets near the rear spar to support the patch. I left the patch a little long in the fore and aft dimension and filed it flush to the surrounding trailing edge after it was riveted in place. I have a fresh piece of Teflon Tape under the trailing edge of the skin that supports the patch. It is hardly noticable. I saw no other reasonable way to repair the damaged skin. I used my 3 inch yoke squeeze riveter to set the rivets. I also reskinned the flap.
Norman Donaldson
RV6 N214JD
[email protected]

Thanks for the post Norm. You gave me a great idea and Im going to try it this AM. If I don't like how it looks I can redo a larger section. I can always reskin the whole area, but I'm just not sure how it will look if I start riveting at one end and move outward the entire length of the skin.
When you say; "you can hardly see it", and "you filed it flush"

Is there anyway you could post or send me a picture of that "patch"? and more discription of your work, I would greatly appreciate it.

Official Paying Member of VAF
Have you donated to your VAF forum lately?

I like your quiet, undersopken ways.

And, yes.

Official Paying Member of VAF
Have you donated to your VAF forum lately?

I like your quiet, undersopken ways.

And, yes.

I'm too old to try the non direct approach. ;)
Just trying to help out DR.

Last edited: