MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I need a 1K Ohm 1 watt resistor for my VPX starter annunciator. I have several of these in my box of parts and have a suspicion they came with my VPX.

Transister.JPG

Can someone tell me if this is the resistor I'm looking for?

Last edited:
Resistor color code mnemonic I learned in school (don't remember much from school but this one stuck with me):

Bad boys rape our young girls, but Violet gives willingly.

Still comes in handy:D

Or, if you're teaching Boy Scouts or young hams...

Big boys race our young girls but Violet generally wins.

0 - Black
1 - Brown
2 - Red
3 - Orange
4 - Yellow
5 - Green
6 - Blue
7 - Violet
8 - Gray
9 - White

Yep that should be the one.

Here's an online calculator that I use a lot

http://www.digikey.com/en/resources...version-calculator-resistor-color-code-5-band

Chris

The resistors in the photo appear to be 5 band, so brown black black red red would be 10K 2% tolerance, not 1K.

Also they look like they might only be 1/2w but without another known size object in the photo to compare with, it's hard to be sure.

A pair of matching 10k ohm 1/2watt resistors sounds a lot like something Dynon or another EMS system would provide for connecting to the mag p-leads at the ignition switch for sampling the signal for RPM/tachometer purposes.

Last edited:
confused

Ok, I would have bet my hat it was red, red, black, black, red? .........And I have a multi meter, can you explain how I can use it to determine the resistivity of the resistor!

Ok, I would have bet my hat it was red, red, black, black, red? .........And I have a multi meter, can you explain how I can use it to determine the resistivity of the resistor!

Put your multimeter on the ohms measurement setting, if it has different ranges, then choose one that measures ohms in the tens of thousands (typically a 20K scale, and measure across the resistor leads). I'll bet you get 10K ohms ;)

If the color bands were red, red, black, black, brown, that would make it 220 ohms 1% tolerance and that would be exceedingly rare to come with any avionics stuff sold on the market recently. Notice that there's a bit wider gap between the two red bands... generally resistors have a larger gap between the "measurement" bands and the "tolerance" band, that way you know which end to start reading the colors from... the tolerance band is always read last.

BTW, I looked back at some of your previous posts and it looks like you've already bought a Dynon Skyview system? If so, then I'd bet a cold beer that those two 10K resistors came with it. If so, then you're probably going to end up having to use larger than 10K on the P-leads anyway. I've wired up two Dynon D120 EMS systems and with Slick mags in both planes, have had to go as high as 120K ohms on those resistors to fix the erratic readings at higher RPMs... 10K is just too small a value for most Slick mags.

As for sourcing a 1K ohm, 1 watt resistor, I'd just go to your local Radio Shack and see if they've got one... but you might better hurry since the latest financial news sounds pretty grim for RS even though most folks have thought they've been on the verge of bankruptcy the past 25 years or longer but this time is sounds like it might be for real.

Last edited:
Thanks Neal, actually, I have already wired the p-leads and installed those resistors near my ignition switch as per the instructions............

"(Use the two included 30 kΩ resistors (color bands: orange, black, brown, red, brown; connect in either direction) to attach left and right P-leads to the standard RPM Left and RPM Right inputs on the SV-EMS-220/221.)"

I will try to use my multimeter as apparently reading the color bands is a little more complicated than I thought!

The resistors in the photo appear to be 5 band, so brown black black red red would be 10K 2% tolerance, not 1K.

Also they look like they might only be 1/2w but without another known size object in the photo to compare with, it's hard to be sure.

A pair of matching 10k ohm 1/2watt resistors sounds a lot like something Dynon or another EMS system would provide for connecting to the mag p-leads at the ignition switch for sampling the signal for RPM/tachometer purposes.

Could be, I read the bands the other way, as brown, black, black, brown, brown, which is 1k ohm 1%. But the picture makes it hard to be sure...

Chris

Keesler Specific Color Code

Resistor color code mnemonic I learned in school (don't remember much from school but this one stuck with me):

Bad boys rape our young girls, but Violet gives willingly.

Still comes in handy:D

At Keesler AFB in the late 70's we were taught:

Biloxi - Black - 0
Booze - Brown - 1
Rots - Red - 2
Our - Orange - 3
Young - Yellow - 4
Guts - Green - 5
But - Blue - 6
Vodka - Violet - 7
Goes - Gray - 8
With - White - 9
Gin - Gold - 5%
So - Silver - 10%
Nicely - None - 20%

tom, love the tag line.

just remember: 1 plus 1 is 2, 2 plus 2 is 4, 4 plus 4 is 10, and i can prove that!

bob burns

Could be, I read the bands the other way, as brown, black, black, brown, brown, which is 1k ohm 1%. But the picture makes it hard to be sure...

Chris

On my Nexus 7 Tablet the photo sure looks like 2 reds and 1 brown especially with the brightness cranked all the way up, but on the HP flat panel monitor I'm looking at now (which tends to give everything a blue-ish tint)
it is pretty hard to tell the colors apart, but the suspected red still looks slightly different enough and more red than brown, from the obviously brown band. Maybe Mike can chime in with what the colors look like in real life..

In real life, it looks like either three browns or three reds. I think I will use my multimeter to determine when I get back home or just go by Radio Shack and drop a buck for what I know is the right resistor.

I bought the 30K resistors

at Radio Shack to hook up my EMS120 --- however, when I hooked up the p-leads (off of the ignition switch), I found I had grabbed some 47K resistors from stash, instead of the 30K (darn color codes) --- anyway, the 47K work just fine. I have read that some installs went much higher on the resistors --- Dynon says that may cause some lag in the readout, but no harm, no foul.

do people know this stuff any more?

or from junior high:

Bad boys run on your grass but vivacious girls won't.

Or, if you're teaching Boy Scouts or young hams...

Big boys race our young girls but Violet generally wins.

0 - Black
1 - Brown
2 - Red
3 - Orange
4 - Yellow
5 - Green
6 - Blue
7 - Violet
8 - Gray
9 - White