The "through hole" is what you want. You are not going to be mounting this to a circuit board, correct?

I need to order up a resistor to connect my Dynon tach input the Mag P-Lead.
SHould I go with a "Chasis mount" resistor, or a "Through hole" resistor?

As far as operation is concerned, it doesn't matter which you choose. The chassis mount will obviously weigh more. I elected to use a through-hole resistor, soldered in-line to the proper EMS wire with heat shrink covering for strain relief.

Using chassis mount high wattage wirewound resistors for this would be gross overkill. Small 1/4 watt inline axial lead resistors are all that's necessary. You may also find that values as high as 100k ohms or larger may be needed to get stable rpm readings, especially on the older D120 EMS system with Slick mags.

The manual says you can use resistor values all the way up to 150kohm. What would be the effect of using a larger resistor value than necessary? Possible damage to components? Zero RPM reading? Lagging RPM readings?

The manual says you can use resistor values all the way up to 150kohm. What would be the effect of using a larger resistor value than necessary? Possible damage to components? Zero RPM reading? Lagging RPM readings?

Too large a resistor value (Ohms) and you won't get any RPM indication.

:cool:

For what it's worth, a 1/2 watt 30k through-hole resistor works perfectly on both my Slick 4370/4371 mags with Skyview.

The larger you go

the slower the response on your readout --- I used 47s and they are fine -- Radio Shack did not have the 33s when I was looking.