ditch

Well Known Member
I am currently wrapping up on the empenage on a 7 and was wondering how much documentation and pictures most of you use. I occasionally take a pic of the assembly and the only documentation I write down is to put a date next to the instructions on what I just completed. Is that enough? By dating the instructions, I can't see how you could get any more detailed. Instructions are pretty clear on what you just did. How many pics does a person really need? Don't want to get caught with my pants down when it comes to getting it inspected some day.

Mel said:
Get a few pictures of you doing work, drilling, riveting, etc.
I think I have more pictures of Nora working on my -9 than I do of myself. One of my tech counselors pointed this out and since then I have made it a point for her to take pictures of me working on the plane.

I don't know

Personally, my DAR hardly glanced at my detailed written log. He was much more interested in the 400+ photo album I had kept.

YMMV

Be sure to have "enough" that there is _no doubt_ who built the airplane.

So more or less, just have alot of pics hu? Thanks for all the input. There's so much that you want to make sure you're doing right when it comes to the feds.

The DAR will probably not care too much. But when you apply for your repairmans certificate (which must be done in person at the FSDO), you have to convince them that you deserve the certificate -- i.e. you did all the work. That's when the builder's log is really needed.

Pictures

If your camera has a date\time stamp feature, turn it on ... lets you store the pictures in order. ;)

milt said:
If your camera has a date\time stamp feature, turn it on ... lets you store the pictures in order. ;)
Already did that. Figured that would be a big help.

FSDO

Jamie said:
The DAR will probably not care too much. But when you apply for your repairmans certificate (which must be done in person at the FSDO), you have to convince them that you deserve the certificate -- i.e. you did all the work. That's when the builder's log is really needed.

My local FSDO inspector barely glanced at my builder log. He looked at all my DAR paperwork and some of my pictures, then typed out my certificate. He did ask a few sharp questions about the construction, etc. Probably helped that we had mutual builder acquaintances.

YMMV

Jamie said:

My DAR filled out the application and I recieved my certificate in the mail. Did not go to the FSDO.

Another suggestion, there are not that many DAR's in a given area. Introduce yourself to them, invite them to see your project, and get to know them if you can. I knew my DAR, he did not look at a single picture, but knew me. He also told me he never looked at anybodies log or pics and could tell by talking with you and asking questions if you built it or not. I have never heard of anybody failing a DAR inspection due to lack of documentation, but perhaps it has happened.

I am fortunate to be building my 7 in my friends AG operation shop. The FISDO guys are in here every couple of months and the DAR stops in every time he is in town so they all know I'm the builder and it has had a progressive inspection the whole time I have been building. We have finished a RV8 and Glasstar in the shop the last couple of years and the DAR never looked at the pictures or log. Don

JonJay said:
My DAR filled out the application and I recieved my certificate in the mail. Did not go to the FSDO.
How long ago was this? My DAR was pretty specific about my need to do this. Maybe it's a new policy? Maybe it's just a policy of our FSDO (Atlanta)?

Seems to me that all this just demonstrates that various FSDOs and DARs interpret the rules differently, so it's probably just best for one to ask his/her respective DAR.

This may be a dumb question but what does DAR stand for? I thought it was an official directly from the FAA that did the inspections.

ditch said:
This may be a dumb question but what does DAR stand for? I thought it was an official directly from the FAA that did the inspections.

The DAR is a representative of the FAA so they don't have to come out themselves.

Where I work, we have DER's - Designated Engineering Representatives - they represent the FAA when big engineering decisions need to be made. A few more years and I hope to apply to become a DER.

milt said:
DESIGNATED AIRWORTHINESS REPRESENTATIVE (DAR)
Basically a DAR is a private individual who is authorized by the FAA to perform airworthinesses inspections. They don't just do inspections on homebuilts, but also on importing/exporting of aircraft, etc.

AB-DAR

To add to the mix - ther has been a recent addition to the DAR community, and that is the Ameature Built DAR or AB-DAR.

Joe Norris of EAA was the first such AB-DAR to be titled and recognized.

It's getting to be a problem for me. The guy that is building my plane calls me all the time to come over and pose for pictures. :D :D :D

Just kidding - I use a tripod.