walkman

Well Known Member
I'm installing an EIS 4000 and a GRT HXr.

I'm trying to determine if external annunciators are either required or desirable.

I've seen some of the annunciators panels on here ad they look cool, but are they really needed? The EIS ships with an external lamp, the EFIS can drive one, but in the KISS principle I'm considering doing without sinc ethe EFIS will have alarms and messages all over.

None are "required". I chose not to put any in my panel. Lot's of discussions and opinions if you do a search.

I did put in the big red light.
1. I do not boot up my EFIS until after engine start, so there would be a 30 second period or more with no knowledge of oil pressure. My EIS is on the main buss (GRT said this is okay) and is on at engine start, red light is on due to no oil pressure. After start red light goes off as oil pressure comes up.

2. I use the EIS timer and red light to remind me every 30 minutes to switch fuel tanks. There are certainly other ways to do this but I found it convenient.

I have your setup. Hxr and EIS. I put the big red annunciator in that's it. I set all the limits in the EFIS Engine page and left all the alarms in the EIS off. That allows me to cancel the alarms on the EFIS whereas if you set the alarms in the EIS, you have to punch the buttons on the EIS to cancel/view them.

It's up to you as to what to do on this, but everyone I know that has the EIS and the EFIS sets there's up like this. Also, once you get the EIS set up you don't have to access it anymore.

He and I both are driving the lamp EFIS.
What widget said works pretty well. Kill all alarms on the EIS, arm alarms on the EFIS. In my case, my EIS is mounted to the fwd baggage floor of my 8. Cant get to it by choice.

ITs true that the EFIS will alert you with messages and warnings, but the remote indicator allows for closer to line of eye sight view warning of a problem. For those of us that spend most of our time looking out not down, a light in your line of sight, or close to it, works.

You will love your GRT EFIS.

annunciator lamps and EFIS

I don't have the HXr but I do have two 8.4HX's, the EIS, plus the VPX-Pro. I power the GRT equipment from an isolated battery that also acts as an emergency battery back-up, and I turn them on before engine start. Once they are on-line and showing engine information, I switch on the master battery and start the engine. I have instant engine information in front of me including all of the warning messages. Then the avionics master goes on and the back-up battery goes off. Seamless.

The only annunciator lamp I have is above the fuel boost switch on the panel becasue I can't tell when the pump is on. The panel switch is only one of 4 locations where the boost pump can be turned on from; direct from EFIS menu from VPX, and from either grip stick switch. You can't tell if the pump is on by looking at the position of the switch and the function isn't annunciated on the panels.

Sounds complicated but it really isn't.

I put six annunciators:

EMS alarm sistered with Starter engaged
Alternator
Smoke
Pitot
Fuel Pump
Flaps Extended

All of these are duplicated on the EFIS, and some will raise voice alarms. Since I am only running a single EFIS system on the Rocket, the on-screen indications are pretty small. Having the external lamp also allows a simpler engine screen in 20% mode.

Not essential for flight, just a convenience.

I am planning eight (8) in an attempt to set a Guiness record.
Why? Eight is a good digital number and B E C A U S E I C A N.

Seriously, for all the reasons Vern stated, except I want mine on top of the glare shield and in my vision when looking outside the plane. They will also act as backup in case the EFIS croaks.

Here is the writeup:
http://www.mglavionicsusers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=849

GH