Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Would appreciate a little help here....

I am going to have LED tip lights, (including aft facing white), strobes, and likely a landing/taxi light in each wing.

I am also planning for a comm antenna on the wingtip (inside). I have some pretty good coax for the antenna, but need to do more research on the number of wires, and gauge that I will need for this stuff. Anyone with a similar setup got a quick answer?

Gregg

Really quick answer, plan for what you think you need, then install a conduit that will hold double that amount.

Pitot heat, roll servo, APARS power, wigwag, ??? all things in the wing you did not mention.

Wire gauge is driven by the load of whatever the wire is powering-----pitot heat may take 12, LED position may take 20. You need to determine the wire sizes yourself.

Go to the Vertical Power website for a good list of common devices, and the wire size, and breaker size they need.

Last edited:
I am in the middle of doing this on my -7 wings with pretty much the same setup. I emailed Stein and he gave me ideas and consequently placed my wire order with him. The LED nav/strobes dont draw much, but make sure you get a shielded version for the strobes. I think I got 18 or 20 ga for them. For the Duckworks I used 16 ga and RG-400 coax for a future antenna in the tip. Both wires were more than I need but Stein thought it was a good idea to have a little heavier gage in case anything ever changes. On top of all that, I also ran a conduit for ease of adding anything later.

Conduit size

I am just in the process of adding yet another wire, actually a coax into a conduit that I thought would be plenty large enough for all those little wires years ago. I would recommend a 12" PVC pipe..........:eek: