Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
Under the EAA's inspection guide I don't see a reference to having a tech counselor inspect the aircraft during the building process. Are we required to have an EAA tech counselor/DAR inspect the airframe at certain intervals, ie..prior to closing the empenage/wings or are the pictures going to sufice. I am following several other builder sites and it seems that some do some don't. Thanks for the input..What a great site.

1st EAA Tech inspection

Mark,
They want the first inspection to be done prior to closing up the wings.
Charlie Kuss

Under the EAA's inspection guide I don't see a reference to having a tech counselor inspect the aircraft during the building process. Are we required to have an EAA tech counselor/DAR inspect the airframe at certain intervals, ie..prior to closing the empenage/wings or are the pictures going to sufice. I am following several other builder sites and it seems that some do some don't. Thanks for the input..What a great site.

Mark,

EAA Tech inspections are not "required", just recommended. The EAA inspections carry no regulatory weight and are not entered into your aircraft logbook.

Having said that, I suggest local builders who participate in the EAA Tech program to schedule a Tech visit during emp construction, prior to closing wings, and after all systems are installed. This is sufficient for the proficient builder, but some builders may need more guidance.

I recommend you make contact with a local Tech Counselor. He can be a valuable resource as you progress through your project. The DAR will also appreciate your project being monitored by a Tech Counselor.

No DAR inspections are required prior to final inspection before flight.

Sam... is the log book comment correct

Mark,

EAA Tech inspections are not "required", just recommended. The EAA inspections carry no regulatory weight and are not entered into your aircraft logbook.

Having said that, I suggest local builders who participate in the EAA Tech program to schedule a Tech visit during emp construction, prior to closing wings, and after all systems are installed. This is sufficient for the proficient builder, but some builders may need more guidance.

I recommend you make contact with a local Tech Counselor. He can be a valuable resource as you progress through your project. The DAR will also appreciate your project being monitored by a Tech Counselor.

No DAR inspections are required prior to final inspection before flight.

I hand out a letter that I believe came from an EAA source. In it is the following -

You, the builder, should make an entry in your aircraft log book similar to the following:

?I, Joe E. Builder, had EAA Technical Counselor #1234, Fred T. Inspector, visit my project on 1-1-2000 and found it airworthy, signed Joe E. Builder.?

Since this was from an old EAA source, has EAA Central changed their policy?

Note that it is not my entry, but that of the builder. I am aware of the EAA policy to not sign a log book as a TC.

I think your info was from back when insurance companies would give a break to those who got the inspections. AFAIK, there are no hard requirements for what has to go in a construction log. Much of my RV-6A log up to the panel installation consists mainly of pictures and narrative from my old web site; after that I began using KitLog Pro. The DAR had no problem with it and the FSDO loved it when I applied for my Repairman's certificate. On the other hand, I am trying to be more conscientious with the RV-10 build, so I will be carefully logging daily work including visits. Even though I can only put 3 pictures per page, I will still keep a folder with all the pictures I take. So, to summarize, I think the difference is between 'have to' and 'should'.

I am aware of the EAA policy to not sign a log book as a TC.

Gil, that is the policy to which I referred, guess I should have been more specific. I encourage a builder to keep their copy of the Tech Counselor's inspection form with their builder's log.

Gents,
Thank's for all the input. I live in Houston so finding several sets of experienced eyes shouldn't be a problem.