I got this from the EAA website.

You must carry the following documents in your amateur-built aircraft:

Airworthiness Certificate
Certificate of Aircraft Registration
Operating Limitations
Weight and Balance Data

The only document that needs to be displayed is the airworthiness certificate. This is required by 14 CFR 91.203(b), which states:

"(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless the airworthiness certificate required by paragraph (a) of this section or a special flight authorization issued under ? 91.715 is displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance so that it is legible to passengers or crew."

Note that there is no requirement that the airworthiness certificate be visible from the outside. Only that it is legible to passengers or crew.

The operating limitations, weight and balance info, and registration certificate must be carried aboard the aircraft, but do not need to be displayed.

For international operations (other than Canada), you will also need an aircraft radio station license. This can be obtained from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). For more info on the aircraft radio station license, see the following web site:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/aviation/

Roberta

What about occasional international flights?

I know this an old post but just curious. There are several RV's that fly to Mexico an the Bahamas. Do you have to have a Radio Station License for those occasional flights?

I read the ruling and it appears it maybe required. At approximately $100 for the license, it sure would be nice not to have to get one for occasional international flights.

And FWIW....

....the airworthiness certificate must be on top of the registration, if you put them both in a bag with one side clear.

An A@P/IA that annuals my Air Tractor told me this. An FAA guy happened to be in the area and stuck his head in the cockpit of a Cherokee that was also being annualled and said, "Oh-oh, I've gotta write him up...the registration has to be behind the pink airworthiness certificate". :cool:..really nit-picky sometimes.

Best,

Paul,

I believe that you not only need a radio station license for the airplane, but also a radiotelephone station operator's license for international flights. From the AOPA website for flights to Canada (I added the bolding highlight):

The pilot in command must have a current:

* Passport
* Pilot certificate with an English proficient endorsement
* Medical certificate
* Restricted radiotelephone operators permit

Passengers

* Each passenger must have a current passport
* Children traveling with only one parent must have a notarized statement of approval from the absent parent stating the dates of the trip.

Aircraft

All U.S. registered aircraft must have:

* A standard Airworthiness Certificate
* A permanent registration certificate (no temporary certificates/pink slips)
* A radio station license
* Operating limitations information
* Weight and Balance information
* If the aircraft is registered in another person’s or corporation’s name, we recommend you bring a notarized letter authorizing use of the aircraft in Canada.
* An ID data plate
* 12-inch registration marks if you’re crossing an ADIZ to get into Canada (primarily affects those flying in from Alaska)
* Transponder with Mode C - TSA waivers are still required and mandatory for all international flights for aircraft not equipped with a transponder.
* Aircraft with fuel tanks installed in the baggage or passenger compartments must have Form 337 on board.
* Either a 121.5 MHz or 406 MHz ELT
* Charts
* Survival equipment for wilderness areas
* Survival equipment for over-water
* Verify insurance coverage for flight into Canada. Private aircraft must be covered with liability insurance. Proof of liability coverage needs to be carried onboard.

greg

I know this an old post but just curious. There are several RV's that fly to Mexico an the Bahamas. Do you have to have a Radio Station License for those occasional flights?

I read the ruling and it appears it maybe required. At approximately $100 for the license, it sure would be nice not to have to get one for occasional international flights.

Not 100% sure on this, but I believe you will need the Radio Station License and the Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit for all international flying.

required documents on board

Can anybody cite the reference that requires that "weight and balance" data be carried in the aircraft? I was always taught that it was required but a very experienced ATP rated pilot stated that the only requirement was "that weight and balance had to be calculated for the flight" period. Was he referring to Part 121 or Part 134 rather than part 91 flights?

W&B

Can anybody cite the reference that requires that "weight and balance" data be carried in the aircraft? I was always taught that it was required but a very experienced ATP rated pilot stated that the only requirement was "that weight and balance had to be calculated for the flight" period. Was he referring to Part 121 or Part 134 rather than part 91 flights?

Yes, you need to have the information onboard the aircraft, if nothing else it comes under FAR 91.103. It doesn't say weight and balance, but it does cover performance, which is a directly related.

Part 121 operators accomplish weight and balance calculations in a number of ways. Most major carriers calculate "the numbers" for the crew because of the complexity of gathering the information and doing the math on a large airliner. It would be nearly impossible to do a manual calculation in a reasonable time frame. My experience is that the information was transmitted to the aircraft by an uplink (ACARS) that included weight, CG, 'v' speeds, takeoff flap setting, and power settings. So, technically the information was "aboard" the aircraft. The airlines may come up with their own system to be approved by the FAA.

Since I am retired from all of that, I have a very cool app on my iPhone to do a 30 second weight and balance on my RV8. And since it remembers the last calculation, I can show my data to the friendly Fed during the ramp check. :rolleyes:

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Last edited:
From your web site link...

...For international operations (other than Canada), you will also need an aircraft radio station license. This can be obtained from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). For more info on the aircraft radio station license, see the following web site:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/aviation/

Roberta

...there is no exception for Canada...

Aircraft operating domestically do not land in a foreign country or "communicate via radio with foreign ground stations. Flying in international or foreign airspace is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign destination, however, (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required."

gil A - following a pleasant trip to Alberta and BC last year, eh...:)

Last edited: