JVolkober

Well Known Member
Status: I?m building and a -9A, wings and empennage at hanger, fuselage in garage. Plan to complete fuselage in garage before moving fuselage to hanger. I?ve completed the fuselage except for riveting the top skins. I plan to complete (hoping I don?t overlook something) installation of everything that I want in the tail cone before riveting the skins in place: the strobe power supply (right side behind baggage area) and mounting bracket for the ELT (left side behind baggage area), electrical runs to tail for lights, trim and magnetic compass (Dynon); magnetic compass; AP pitch servo with wiring; install elevator control rod. I?ve got the finishing kit and have fitted the roll bar (slider). My question to all you experienced builders is ?in what order would you complete the fuselage work: canopy, instruments/panel, engine, cowing; or engine, instruments/panel, canopy, cowling. Complete the canopy frame and leave the Plexiglas until later, then engine, instruments, cowling and then complete canopy?? What would you recommend?

Thank you for your thoughts.

John

I did the canopy, engine, cowling, electrical/instrument panel.

If you are doing a slider, do NOT rivet the top forward skin until ALL your electrical is done. When doing your electrical, you want to be as dust free as possible so you don't get dust and metal shavings in a places you will regret later!!

Also, lay out your firewall before you mount your engine. I used van's standard layout for a IO-320. I drilled all the holes and mounted the battery, regulator, etc., first while access was easy. I used nutplates on everything. I than mounted the motor and determined where to drill holes for the variety of wires necessary for my FADEC setup.

I'm currently doing the electrical and the order in which I've done things seems to be working great.