fodrv7

Well Known Member
Can anyone advise me how to clean the Vans supplied K & N air intake filter and at what interval.

Thanks Pete.

Last edited:
Can anyone advise me how to clean the Vans supplied K & N air intake filter and at what interval.

Thanks Pete.

Van's (or other K&N dealers) sells a kit to clean/treat the filter. It has instructions.

I do mine every annual.

FWIW, I do mine every 100 hours or ASAP after flying through any moderate+ rain.

Oiled or not

What should it be cleaned in (Besides Vans Cleaning kit) and should it be oiled?
Pete

The cleaning kit is from K&N. It comes with 2 bottles. Like Kevin said, just read the instructions. It's really trivial. Here's the basic idea...

There's a spray bottle of cleaning solution. Tap the filter to shake out any debris. Spray the filter LIBERALLY with the cleaning solution and let it soak in around 10 minutes.

After it sits, rinse it with water. I only run water UP/OUT through the filter, pushing the crud out from where it came in. This is easy on mine since it's a rectangular flat filter. I rinse it really well until the water runs clear.

I then let mine dry overnight in a warm, dry spot.

The next day I take the 2nd bottle, the red oil, and I squeeze out a good bead of oil on the top of each pleat. Let that soak in pretty good. Reinstall the filter, done deal.

By the way, K&N filters have very little filtering ability if not oiled. It is very important that you properly oil the filter and keep it oiled.

Karl

Any motorcycle shop should carry the K&N filter cleaning kits. In a pinch, hot water and detergent (dish wash soap works) will break down the oil and clean it. Rinse well from the inside out with lots of water and let air dry. As for oil, I would only use the K&N stuff, or an equivelent that is made for cotton gauze filters. It goes on wet, but dries to a pretty sticky consistancy, helping to trap dirt and dust.