TomVal

Well Known Member
Is anyone willing to share their RV8 aerobatic entry speed ranges for the following maneuvers:

Spins
Aileron Rolls
Barrel Rolls
Loops
Cuban 8?s
Split S
Immelman

My -8 has a TMX 180hp engine with a Catto prop. I recently moved the aircraft from CA to SC. Yesterday, I received a new set of Operating Limitations, Airworthiness Certificate, and approved practice area.

The FSDO initially threw me a curve ball. The aircraft has 150 hours on it under the original set of Op Lim?s. He wanted me to keep the aircraft in phase one for 40 hours because he issued new Op Lim?s?my jaw hit the table. As I explained to him, my only purpose in obtaining new Op Lim?s was to open the aerobatic window. If he was going to insist on the 40 hours, I told him to forget it, I wouldn?t open phase one.

Not wanting to @#^& him off, I politely referred him to paragraph 17 of the Op Lim?s. This paragraph addresses a major modification change after phase one. It basically states that once you receive approval , the flight test phase must be at least 5 hours minimum unless a greater time is mandated by the FSDO.

I then very, very, politely implied that if a major modification could be flight tested in as little as 5 hours, wouldn?t it stand to reason that the aerobatic envelope could be conservatively completed well under 40 hours!

He reservedly replied, that he not being a pilot, he supposed the aerobatic testing could be completed in less time. We agreed that a minimum of 5 hours would be dedicated to aerobatic flight testing. Phew!!!! Done!!!

I use Van's ranges.

They are printed out in the back of the manual so I copied them and have them printed on a card in the plane for quick reference. Are you familiar with them and are asking if other's use a different set of ranges?

Good job Tom!

The FSDO initially threw me a curve ball. The aircraft has 150 hours on it under the original set of Op Lim?s. He wanted me to keep the aircraft in phase one for 40 hours because he issued new Op Lim?s?my jaw hit the table. As I explained to him, my only purpose in obtaining new Op Lim?s was to open the aerobatic window. If he was going to insist on the 40 hours, I told him to forget it, I wouldn?t open phase one.

Not wanting to @#^& him off, I politely referred him to paragraph 17 of the Op Lim?s. This paragraph addresses a major modification change after phase one. It basically states that once you receive approval , the flight test phase must be at least 5 hours minimum unless a greater time is mandated by the FSDO.

I then very, very, politely implied that if a major modification could be flight tested in as little as 5 hours, wouldn?t it stand to reason that the aerobatic envelope could be conservatively completed well under 40 hours!

He reservedly replied, that he not being a pilot, he supposed the aerobatic testing could be completed in less time. We agreed that a minimum of 5 hours would be dedicated to aerobatic flight testing. Phew!!!! Done!!!
You did exactly the right thing and obviously in the right manner.

They are printed out in the back of the manual so I copied them and have them printed on a card in the plane for quick reference. Are you familiar with them and are asking if other's use a different set of ranges?

I'll go back and take another look, I obviously missed them.