aeropunk

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone out there who is using Skyview 5.1+ firmware would be willing to share one of their CSV data log files with me. Dad and I are planning on installing a Skyview in our RV-8, and since I like messing around with computers and programming, I thought I'd write a couple of scripts that parse the data log files and maybe output graphs, etc. I know you can also do this with Excel, but I get a kick out of writing my own stuff.

If anyone's willing to share one of these files, I'll happily return the favor by posting here anything I come up with.

Thanks in advance!

That's an admirable goal, Brian. But may I ask why not write it for SkyView's version 7.0 firmware? Perhaps the log data file format is unchanged from 5.1 to 7.0 and my question is moot.

In that case, I could offer you a 7.0 log file. Just email me.

BTW, I use and like Savvy Analysis and that seems to be the "gold standard", the task to beat (or at least duplicate). But I'm concerned that I don't "own" my data once it's uploaded if I delete it locally: viewing a flight depends on continued access to the web site. Just a philosophical difference from most folks, but I mistrust "the cloud" for anything long-term. So I wish you good success and hope to enjoy your program someday.

--
Joe

Thanks Guys!

That's an admirable goal, Brian. But may I ask why not write it for SkyView's version 7.0 firmware?

@dynonsupport: Thanks for the link guys! I looked through that forum a bit before posting here, but obviously not thoroughly enough.

@Joe: Thanks Joe, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on that. To answer your question, I merely mentioned version 5.1+ since that's when the user-viewable data logging was added as a feature. I would most definitely want to write any code for version 7 and beyond (assuming the output format has changed). For right now, though, I just wanted a sample CSV file to play with.

There's no doubt that Savvy Analysis is the "gold standard." I get frustrated sometimes because it seems like the aviation business can be so behind the times when it comes to adopting the latest computer/web technologies to make life easier, and the Savvy guys are definitely bucking that trend -- I love it!

But as Joe mentions, it'd be nice to have something that I could use on my own computer to view plots, etc., without having to upload data somewhere. I think the Saavy guys are providing a great service, and I have no interest (or the MX expertise) in trying to compete with them. But their charts are definitely pretty and I'd like to make some of my own, just for fun.

Thanks again guys for the input, and if I come up with anything useful, I'll definitely share it here.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The datalog format has not changed since we released it FYI. However, a robust parser will use the headers from the CSV file so even if we add fields it won't break.