Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi.
I installed a Dynon SkyView as EFIS and engine monitor.
My building partner is worried of having no engine information, should the SkyView quit.
So, we (he) decided to put one additional MAP indicator ( IE VMP35 )
and one additional RPM indicator ( IE VTACH3500 ) from Van's web store. We will go with 2 1/4'' ones.

I already have a clear tube from firewall to Dynon transducer for MAP. So, I guess I can intercept it and just place a tee (from Spruce?).

What will I also need? Only a transducer IE VTACHGEN 2 for tachometer? Is this the cable which will go inside the engine?

Thanks.
Camillo

Yep just tee it in there. The tach sensor goes on the tach pickoff on the engine.

The good news here is that WHEN the vans gauges fail, you'll have the skyview to fall back on. :D

Or you could pull them out and use the space for something useful. :eek:

Thank-you, David.

But when Van's says that a tachometer needs a transducer, do they intend - and do IE VTACH3500 is - the cable and the terminal which goes in the appropriate slot in the engine?

Yes, Van's tach needs a transducer...

...and it is IE VTACHGEN 2 if you do not have a vacuum pump.

It is IE VTACHGEN 12 if you have a vacuum pump. It is indeed the unit with about a 12" cable that attaches to the tach drive on the engine and produces pulses that are sent to the tach,

Best,

No, I don't have a vacuum pump. I guess the cable will attach directly on the RPM slot between magnetos. I will order that transducer, so.
Thanks.
Camillo

Vans tach transducer

I just installed this unit-----piece of cake.

There were no instructions included------so here is a bit of info for those who follow on.........

Wiring is standard Black to ground, Red to +12v, and White is signal.

I am using the unit to drive the GRT tach function, and this requires the pulses per revolution be set-----magic number is 8.

Photos to follow.

I just installed this unit-----piece of cake.

There were no instructions included------so here is a bit of info for those who follow on.........

Wiring is standard Black to ground, Red to +12v, and White is signal.

I am using the unit to drive the GRT tach function, and this requires the pulses per revolution be set-----magic number is 8.

Photos to follow.

If anyone else ever mistakenly doesn't receive the installation sheet, you can find a copy on Van's web site here.

Thanks!!

Scott, thanks for the link------however it is of no use for what I was doing, as I am driving a GRT eis input with it. That is why I posted the info here, for other folks who may be using something other than the Vans tach.

I am sure for others who are using the unit with the Vans tach, this is good to have info.

I installed an MGL single 3-1/8 digital display that indicates both RPM and MAP (also has hobbs/maint. reminder etc) as a backup. It is a great unit and easy to install and planned it as a backup to the EFIS but I prefer to use this as a primary indicator.

Scott, thanks for the link------however it is of no use for what I was doing, as I am driving a GRT eis input with it. That is why I posted the info here, for other folks who may be using something other than the Vans tach.

I am sure for others who are using the unit with the Vans tach, this is good to have info.

No problem, the dwg does at least show which leads are power and ground, that leaves only one left for the signal line.

I installed both. I noticed that the 2 1/2 versions are electrically driven. I.e.: without current, they do not display RPM or MAP.

I was obliged to use them due to dimensions. But if I had space, I will have gone with the 3 1/4. The 3'' RPM has a mechanical sender from the unit to the engine.

Hi.
I installed a Dynon SkyView as EFIS and engine monitor.
My building partner is worried of having no engine information, should the SkyView quit.
So, we (he) decided to put one additional MAP indicator ( IE VMP35 )
and one additional RPM indicator ( IE VTACH3500 ) from Van's web store. We will go with 2 1/4'' ones.

I already have a clear tube from firewall to Dynon transducer for MAP. So, I guess I can intercept it and just place a tee (from Spruce?).

What will I also need? Only a transducer IE VTACHGEN 2 for tachometer? Is this the cable which will go inside the engine?

Thanks.
Camillo

Do you have an airspeed indicator and altimeter backup?? Just curious as to your reasoning if you don't as to why you would go for MAP and RPM. Pretty easy to get to the ground without power setting info but a bit more difficult without the a/s and alt if you have a full failure.
As to your questions...yes, the T will work for the MAP..RPM is separate from the Skyview hookup which recommends mag elec connections. Vans uses a cable/converter which goes which goes to the tach drive.

That was my same idea. But my partner insisted and so, at last, I decided to install them.
Yes, I have a backup airspeed, altimeter, VSI and ADI. All TSO'd (apart from ADI).