rwtalbot

Well Known Member
I have a small dilemma... My engine is happily mounted on the fuse and I have had the prop on to fit cowls etc. I am still at least six months from flying and I have had to spin the prop through a couple of times for various reasons.

I've had the engine for nearly 12 months now and I live in a fairly humid environment. So basically I would like to preserve it again.

From what I can see I have two choices. The first one which I do not like is to take the engine off, fill it with some more oil and rotate it around to coat the gears and cams etc with oil. The second would be to hook a hose up to the top port in the engine and force oil into it at about 25psi. I am told that this will cause the oil sprayers in the top of the engine to work, and coat everything in a nice layer of oil.

My problem is I cannot think of a really good way to do it. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Richard
RV7A

Regardless of Oil Solution, Use This, Too

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/engsaver.php

Richard, I am concerned about this also. The only thing I can think of is to get like a liter plastic coke bottle, put tubing fittings in the top (you can get these from your local hobby shop, fuel can fittings), put oil in the bottle, and use compressed air to force the oil. I would use very little pressure. What port are you using to supply oil. Surely there must be something that we could spend more money on, but I think this might work. Let me know.

Preserving the engine

My RV-6 was down for 11 months for condition inspection, upgrades, etc. includuing a new to me house.
I was concerned about the first start-up after a dormant period.
I completely filled the crankcase with oil. Then turned the prop thru a few times to make sure everything was coated well. I also removed one set of spark plugs too, just in case enough oil got past the rings to do a hydraulic lock effect. I had to lift the tail a little bit to get it completely full, but it worked. seems it took about 4 gallons in addition to the 2 gallons already in the engine. I drained the excess oil out and back into the gt. containers for future use. That way, I knew the cam and other parts had a nice coating of thick oil on them at start up.
Seems you could just leave the crankcase full of oil as a preserative. You could even use an automotive oil (cheaper) as you would drain it out before engine startup.
Just my 2 cents.
Good Luck,