Prof D

Sponsor
Found out yesterday that my strobes are not functioning...No power is getting to the strobe bulbs when the system is energized.

Looking at prices for replacement Whelen parts (HDACF power supply and bulbs) put me on the search for an LED based upgrade. Flyleds looks like they have something very close to adrop in replacement which would allow me to continue to use the current wiring and maybe shed a couple pounds too.

I think what I need to do is:
- Replace the Whelen HDACF power supply with the Flyleds strobe system replacement controller
-Replace the wingtip strobe/Nav lights with "The Essentials" kit (pre-soldered)
-Replace the tail light with the tail light kit
- Add the wigwag module to add that functionality to the strobes

Landing light upgrade will be at some point in the future.

Has anyone done this upgrade, and is it as straightforward as it sounds?

Hi Ryan,
Yes it is as simple as the rest of the Flyleds conversions/ kits. Strobe system replacement controller board $us29 & the Tail light-kit model $us99 (not the standalone version). That’s the beauty of his system as all the existing Whelen wiring can be used.
note for others - this whole system is cheaper in price than just the Whelen power pack alone, what’s not to like about that 😉

It is as straight forward as it seems. I did the upgrade and made my own cables to connect the module to the existing cables going to the wing and tail. FlyLed now has a harness that eliminates the self conversion. The most difficult part of the upgrade is trimming the printed circuit for positioning in the wing tip. I don't think you need a wigwag module for proper functioning.

Paul

Ryan, you don’t need a wig/wag module for what you are trying to do at this stage, it is only for the Landing Lights.

Thanks for the confirmation that the kits are as good as they sound! Pretty sure I'll be going this direction.

For some reason, I had it in my mind that the wigwag board could give the strobes a wigwag function. Time to go do some more reading.

Yes, it’s pretty straightforward. As others have said, the wig-wag module is for use with their landing lights. The strobe kit has some dip switches which allow you to choose ‘alternate left then right’ or ‘left-right together, then tail’, etc. Make sure to order their Whelan conversion kit - no new plugs, just plug in the old Whelan plugs into the new board. Note installing wig-wag on the landing lights will probably require a new panel switch and a wire to the controller.

Hi Ryan

The biggest difference is that you're replacing the strobe head with two circuit boards that fit the light bays, so there's some dremel and filing/sanding work involved for clearances and to make things fit. Most people don't have an issue with this, but there are other folks who refuse to use a screwdriver anywhere near their plane as well...
Have a look at our instructions on the Info page of the Flyleds website, particularly for The Works kit for the pictures, to see what's involved.

Otherwise replacing the power supply with the Flyleds kit is as close to plug and play as we can make it. You should be back there for about 15 minutes.

The Essentials kit currently has a wigwag function for the strobe LEDs that you can switch in, but I wouldn't bother to be honest, particularly as you have landing lights (due for an upgrade I hear! We can help you there...) that will be far more visible to others when they are flashing.
Our Wigwag Module sits wherever your left and right landing light wires combine; often at the panel switch but sometimes under a seat for example. If you're using toggle switches on the panel the Wigwag Switch might be the preferred choice.

That's exactly what i did with my RV9A, the FlyLED's solution is an awesome very cost effecting one and I cannot recommend it highly enough, on top of which support from Paul is absolutely amazing. One of the truly innovative and helpful manufacturers out there.

Nige

Thanks for the help everyone. And thanks to Paul for giving direct feedback on your system.

I've ordered the hardware to make the upgrade. Wigwag will wait until I do a landing light upgrade sometime in the nearish future.

Any suggestions on running a power wire for the landing light in a already flying RV-6
If you already have a landing light controlled by a panel switch, you can just re-use the existing wire (check that the wire size can handle the current load). But in by-passing the control boards you won’t get wig-wag.