brian257

Well Known Member
Just finished putting a case back together. I meticulously cleaned the threads on the thru studs and the nuts then ran them all the way down by hand to check that all was good. After getting the case haves together I was loosening the nuts on one side and tightening the ones on the other side to pull the studs so they were centered before I torqued. Somehow one nut locked on the stud and became impossible to remove or to put on further. Just runs a few threads forward or a few back before it locks up. No idea what happened.

Anyway, I torqued everything by tightening the nut on the other end of the stud on that side and all looks good except that now that one stud will need to be replaced. While turning with a breaker bar to try to get it off I am fairly confident that the stud was damage, not to mention the boogered up thread.

What is the best way to remove this stud now? They are all pressed in the case pretty hard and I am hesitant to bang it out with a hammer and drift. Thinking I might try a nut splitter or cut the nut off with a grinding wheel. That way I can use the good threads on the other end of the stud to pull it out slowly by stacking washers and spacers, tightening, loosening, then adding more spacers and repeat. Not sure a nut splitter will work on those possibly hardened nuts and the idea of trying to seal up the holes and grind does not sound good either.