KentuckyMike

Well Known Member
My O-360 A1A does not have an oil filter. I am considering adding one and I am pretty sure the 77852 is the correct Lycoming part number. I found the below kit with gasket and bolts.

http://www.dfwairparts.com/77852-new-lycoming-spin-on-oil-filter-adapter-assembly

Is there anything else I will need and does this seem like a decent price or does anyone have one laying around at a better price? I assume I can reuse the vernatherm I have. I will take the cowl off and measure but it appears that the RV6 with the O-360 has enough room for the straight unit (Not 90 degree) to be installed.

Maybe someone that has added the 90 degree unit would like to sell their original straight adapter?

Thanks in advance.

That price seems...

...pretty good, especially with the rest of the stuff needed. I've seen the kit in the $200's...

I did this on my Tiger, and it's fairly easy. The hardest part is adding a single stud in one of the holes. Also, make sure the gasket is placed correctly, it can block oil flow if its orientation is incorrect.

77852 is the correct Lycoming part number, and if you want to retain the certification of the Lycoming for 25 hour purposes, SSP 885 covers a legal installation of the oil filter on models that were shipped with a screen. The Vernatherm is reused you say.

I sent a copy of the SSP 885 to your regular e-mail. It has details of the stud installation in it.

My O-360 A1A does not have an oil filter. I am considering adding one and I am pretty sure the 77852 is the correct Lycoming part number. I found the below kit with gasket and bolts.

http://www.dfwairparts.com/77852-new-lycoming-spin-on-oil-filter-adapter-assembly

Is there anything else I will need and does this seem like a decent price or does anyone have one laying around at a better price? I assume I can reuse the vernatherm I have. I will take the cowl off and measure but it appears that the RV6 with the O-360 has enough room for the straight unit (Not 90 degree) to be installed.

Maybe someone that has added the 90 degree unit would like to sell their original straight adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Call Mahlon and buy it from him. When I ordered mine through him he recommended a restrictor plate, which also required a 2nd gasket.

Re: Oil filter question

I changed my Lycoming filter unit for the Casper Labs unit Van sells. I highly recommend it for ease of filter changing when doing an oil change. I sold my used Lycoming unit for $100. Dan.

Are you sure it was a "restrictor" plate, and not just a spacer?...
Yep, unless the spacer only needed to be .032" thick.

Here is a picture from my web site taken when I realized I needed to change my second accessory case, this time to accept the oil filter. (The first time I changed the case was so I could install a fuel pump.) As I said, check with Mahlon, he knew I needed that restrictor plate on my O-290-D2 off the top of his head and didn't have to look up the part number. The guy knows his stuff!

Note, this engine is OLD, very old, and not everyone will be required to replace the accessory case to replace the oil screen.

Last edited:
FYI the restrictor plate P/N Lw-12999 is only used on the O-235 and the O-290. Without installing it between the adapter and the accessory housing, on those engines, you will see low oil pressure with a max when warmed up of about 55 psi.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."