stifler

hi everyone,
just wondering if anybody has had the misfortune to have had to repair or replace their wing skins. Mine has suffered minor damage and requires the skins to be straightend or replaced. Most are slightly dented and i wondered if i took them off i could straighten them somehow rather than replacing them.:confused:

the skins that are damaged are;

left wing
top outboard w603 - possibly straighten
outboard leading edge w601 - possibly straighten or replace
bottom outboard w605 - possibly straighten
bottom inboard w604 - straighten

right wing
outboard leading edge w601 - replace (creased 7 split):(

i know i have been over critical in assessing the condition but i'm just giving an accuate of what i'm trying to undertake.

Many thanks upfront

Steve

I had to replace one outboard wing skin when I was building my -6. For whatever reason, the wing had shifted in the jig after I'd drilled about 1/2 the holes in that skin, so the other half of the holes caused a twist.

Check the RV-list archives and you might get some ideas.

I'm sure I posted my experience under my old matronics user name of [email protected].

hi everyone,
just wondering if anybody has had the misfortune to have had to repair or replace their wing skins. Mine has suffered minor damage and requires the skins to be straightend or replaced. Most are slightly dented and i wondered if i took them off i could straighten them somehow rather than replacing them.:confused:

the skins that are damaged are;

left wing
top outboard w603 - possibly straighten
outboard leading edge w601 - possibly straighten or replace
bottom inboard w604 - straighten

right wing
outboard leading edge w601 - replace (creased 7 split):(

i know i have been over critical in assessing the condition but i'm just giving an accuate of what i'm trying to undertake.

Many thanks upfront

Steve

Steve... just curious... what happened? :confused:

hi daniel
i bought the RV as an insurance write off and hope to get it flying for next summer. the rv had an engine failure and landed short of the runway damageing the landing gear and wingskins in the process.
regards
steve

hi daniel
i bought the RV as an insurance write off and hope to get it flying for next summer. the rv had an engine failure and landed short of the runway damageing the landing gear and wingskins in the process.
regards
steve

Steve,
You need to find out what the vintage of the wing kit is ( One of the tech. help guys at vans should be able to look it up for you). After a certain date, all RV-6 wing kits were supplied with prepunched skins. Only the skins were prepunched, but for you that wouldn't matter as long as there is not much damage to the sub structure. Prepunched skins make the repairs soooo easy, that it is not worth trying to fix any skins that are at all questionable.

Check ribs - Spar

Steve

When you say that the skins have creased, you really need to check the underlying structure to make sure that the spar and ribs aren't damaged in any way. Might be worth getting attachments NDT'd etc. Any skins that are damaged are throw away's, but you maybe able to use them as patterns if it's a pre- prepunched kit. It'l take more time trying to patch skins than replace and the result will look better as well.

Peter

the kit was completed in 1995 and by looking at it, it did not have prepunched skins. i have not yet removed any of the skins to check for damaged of the ribs or spars but by the look of it it doesn't seem likely. has anyone used one as a template to replace a skin. also if i bought some 2025-t3 sheet do you think i might be able to make my own skins and maybe my outboard leading edge skins.:confused:

Where in UK?

Steve

If the skins aren't prepunched then using sheet would make little difference for the main skins. I've done this before when rebuilding Cessna wings. If the skins your taking off aren't badly distorted then you can use them as a starting point, getting sizes correct and drilling some holes.

The leading edge however is a little more difficult as you want to get as near as possible the correct radius on the bend otherwise it can effect the airfoil shape.

Where in the UK are you based?

Peter

template

also if I bought some 2025-t3 sheet do you think i might be able to make my own skins and maybe my outboard leading edge skins.:confused:
There is an article of RV repair in the aviator. In fact that is exacly how you should progress. Use the old wingskin as a template- but remember this will be close but not exact. The progression should be made carfully with a hole finder also. The t3 sheet leading edge must be precurved to the leading edge shape, then find the holes-than trimmed to fit-exactly.
Find someone with experience- good luck

Steve

If you want any more info email me at:

[email protected]

and I'll give you my number if you want a chat.

There's also quite a number of Rv's at Netherthorpe, well worth a visit to chat to the guys there.

Cheers

Peter

Replacing wing skins

hi everyone,

Hi Steve: I recently replaced a leading edge skin on an RV4. I would replace dented or creased skins rather than try to straighten them. The metal stretches and unless you shrink it back it will look wavey.

I removed the outboard bottom skin for bucking access. I used the old leading edge skin to match drill the new skin. This was a bit tricky because the leading edge bend precluded drilling all the holes at one time. I match drilled the top of the new leading edge, clecoed it in place on the wing, and pulled the skin tight using nylon straps/ratchets. I then used a hole finder to drill as many holes as I could on the bottom of the leading edge. I removed the leading edge and match drilled the remainder of the holes, using the old skin. It turned out well.

I bought an undrilled leading edge skin from Van. It came in a nice wood crate, leading edge pre-bent. It required minor trimming which I did after it was drilled onto the wing. If shipping costs are a factor then I think it is reasonable to buy aluminum sheet locally and bend it yourself. The plans show you how to do this inasmuch as the early kits required it. I haven't done that myself but I would be game to try.

This was a table top repair for me but if any more skins were removed at one time a jig would probably be required to keep the twist out. My wife shot and I bucked the leading edge skin. I replaced the bottom skin myself, unassisted. It should be a pretty straight forward job if you have a modicum of sheet metal experience. If you don't, I'd recommend finding someone with experience to help. Pay them if you must. I think repairs are more difficult than new construction, in my limited experience. Good luck and keep us posted with pictures. I can send you pictures of my repair while in progress if you would like.