Reggie wrote some excellent articles back in 2012 about the Vision Microsystems EPI800 and VMS1000. The article "Vision Microsystems VM1000 & EPI800: Brains, Batteries, & Busses" explains the real time clock chip (see link below).

This past August I purchased a new chip from Mouser for $15.11 plus shipping.

To change the chip you will need to remove the wiring and ribbon cable from the DPU, remove the cover from the DPU, find the chip on the top circuit board and replace it. On my plane I take the DPU out and do the chip change on the bench.

Here are links to the articles written by Reggie. See the third article for the real time battery chip.

Vision Microsystems VM1000 & EPI800 Displays -- How the Backlights Work & Fail.

Vision Microsystems VM1000 & EPI-800: How to Avoid the "MPT Blues"

Vision Microsystems VM1000 & EPI800: Brains, Batteries, & Busses

Vision Microsystems VM1000 & EPI800: What version do I have?

Vision Microsystems EPI-800 & VM1000 Displays: LCD Precautions & Black Ooze Failures

Also, back in 2014, John P, discovered that on his VMS1000, he needed to replace the digital processing chips and that solved his problems. Here is a link to that thread:

I swapped PM's with John P this fall and his unit is still operating properly. Also, I check with Mouser and the digital processing chips referenced by John P are still available.

Unfortunately, on my older EPI800 the digital processing chips are Texas Instrument and discontinued. I could not find an alternative supply.

Hope this helps.