BJohnson

Well Known Member
While trimming my canopy, the protective plastic was loose on the inside and plexidust got all over the protective film. Not wanting to rub that dust agains the canopy, I removed the inside plastic and cleaned off all dust. However, I would like to put protective plastic back onto the plexi while I get on with building. Does anyone have a good suggestion? The glad wrap we had in the kitchen did not adhere well.

I did go to the aviation department of Home Depot and found carpet protector film that has an adhesive on one side to stick to carpet. THinking that this was just the ticket, I bought it. Reading the instructions, there were many warnings about testing the film on the carpet to make sure that the adhesives in the film will not discolor the carpet. If there are solvants int he adhesive, they may damage the plexi.

I put a test piece on some scrap plexi, but that will not reveal damage that shows up years from now.

Any suggestions out there for a protective film?

Pallet wrap

I purchased a roll of pallet wrap and used that to replace the stuff I removed from my Todd canopy. I'm working on the canopy now, and like the previous poster's experience, the canopy is getting covered in plexi dust. Once I've done all my cutting I shall simply remove the wrap and replace it. The roll I bought is huge, and it cost me around NZ$27 or so. It's just like glad-wrap, or cling film, or whatever you guys call it over there, only thicker and tougher. Very clingy stuff, so clings to the inside of the canopy no problem.

Aircraft Spruce sells a product call spraylat. Roll or brush it on, let it dry and your good to go. When your ready peel it off - pretty amazing stuff. Don't let it stay on too long and dry out too much. Its good for a year or two in my experience. I have heard longer and it can be hard to get off. See here
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/plexiglasProtector.php

I second the motion to use Spraylat. I used it on my 8's canopy when I first got it. It's been on about a year and 3 months now, and I can still easily peel it off. Just be sure to put a nice thick coat of it on. The Thicker the better. (almost dripping thick is best) Areas where it's thin are harder to peel.

Spraylat

If you decide to go with Spraylat I have a never used or opened gallon that I will sell for $50.00. Spruce gets $80.00 for it. I'll even ship it to you for that price, lower 48 only!

Ted

plexi protector

Just my 2 cents worth..........in case anyone is unaware, Spraylat, Gripmask and other latex type masking fluid originates in the illuminated sign business. It can be applied by roller, brush or spray, when thinned properly. mulitple light coats make for the best film build.
If you just need a little for a touchup, your local sign shop may sell you a bit. full gallons, once opened, tend to go moldy after a while. the stuff is still ok, just smells bad!
In the sign biz, it's used as a paint mask with lacquer-based translucent paints, so it will withstand pretty hot solvents ( test before use etc. etc.) but it can be used to mask a nice clean line on the perimeter of your nav lite lenses, or canopy skirt.....just use a VERY sharp blade and light touch when cutting thru the film. (For the inexperienced, probably safer just to mask with tape! )
NEVER leave a masked product in the sun, or hot hangar, and it's best to peel and reapply every year or two, or when it starts to get 'tough' and brittle. Often a fresh coat on top of the old one will rejuvenate it, and makes peeling a lot easier.