Don

Well Known Member
Yesterday was not a good day in the shop. I was doing what I thought would be the final tweaks on my canopy frame. The aft bow at the weld where the side rail joins was just 'nicking' the turtle deck, with the plexiglass on. After bending the frame I lifted the canopy and heard a sickening sound. The canopy cracked about 8-10" up from the bottom edge midway on the pax side. I stop drilled it and I suppose it can be glued but I'm not inclined to go there. I know that every time I looked at it, I'd kick myself for not replacing it.

I seem to recall there was another place that sold after marked canopies and unless my memory is really bad, they warranted them against cracking (and offered some additional tint options). All I can find so far is Todd's Canopy's and he only sells RV canopies for the 3, 4, and 8 (tandem seating or single seat). I didn't see anything for a 9.

So, I wondering, before I send Van's another $1,140 + S&H, are there any other after market options available to me? It's not so much that I begrudge sending Van money (considering how much I've sent already, I must LOVE sending him my cash). Rather, I'd just like to know my options before I plunk down another grand. Thanks for the advice.

On the brighter side, the panel is starting to take form nicely!

leads

Don....sorry to hear your news with a cracked canopy.

Airplane Plastics supplies the canopies to Van's. They also offer tinted options. I recently ordered 2514 (medium smoke) for my 7 project. http://www.springfieldaviation.com/BuyTheCanopy.htm

Last time I spoke with Todd's, they did not produce canopies for side by side aircraft.

Cee Bailey's produces canopies and windshields, but I don't know about the -9 being produced by them.

I've also seen people on VAF querie the group for the section they need and once in awhile someone has that half of the canopy left over from their previous trials.

Good luck.

Don,

I really feel for you. I cracked mine in the same place, just a little over a year ago. You might check with Daryll at Vans. Sometimes they get a damaged shipment and they have a canopy or two on hand that are damaged. When I needed to replace mine after it cracked, they had one in inventory that was damaged on the aft end, so the front half that I needed was okay. They sold it to me at a substantial discount.

The other option would be to get a canopy, and later on sell the half that you don't end up using.

Good luck with your efforts. You'll get through this. :)

Todd's Canopies

Had to replace the canopy on my -4 and got a thicker and darker canopy from Todd's at toddscanopies.com. Very easy to deal with and as I recall, he'll replace it if you crack it during the install (better check that factoid).

Oops

Oops! Sorry! Just reread your post and saw that you already checked Todd's. Did you ask him about your -9, 'cause I thought he would blow a canopy for just about anything.

I feel your pain..Kinda?

Sorry for your canopy problems. I just finished drilling the canopy and back widow for my 9A tip-up. All went well untill I left the clecos in one side over night and the next morning found two small cracks on the holes along the lower side rails. Luckly they were small and I stop drilled them so I can live with them as opposed to the $1145 plus probably $500 shipping fron Vans for a new canopy. Maybe there is something to that Sikaflex (SP) adheasive thing after all. Lets us know what they damage is from Plane Plastic if you contact them.

I have the rear section of canopy for sale

Don,

I just bought a replacement canopy so I could replace my winshield (slider) after a birdstrike. I just made the "big cut" yesterday and have the aft section of the canopy left over.

I'm not exactly sure what part you cracked, but if you need the back half of the slider or rear window for a tip-up, then I'm your man. I'll sell it for half what I paid +shipping. Or you can just drive down and pick it up since I'm ~2.5hrs drive south of you in Raleigh, NC.