Vince Koehn

Well Known Member
I have a turn cordinator in my RV6A that I would like to replace with a instrument that would provide a little more attitude and pitch info in the event my Dynon croaks in IFR conditions.
What instrument is out there that would be a good backup to the Dynon?
I currently have a Dynon D10A, airspeed, altimeter, turn cordinator, GI-106A, vertical speed, vertical card compass, Digitrak autopilot, Garmin 430....
Is the TruTrak ADI an option?

Sure is. My plane will definately have one or the one with the built in two axis autopilot.

N819VK said:
Is the TruTrak ADI an option?

And a very good one at that.

You can get a built in GPS, and a built in battery as options, and if you are running an auto pilot, the internal GPS is capable of driving it-------heading only, you have to turn the plane to the course and then lock in the A/P, no waypoint stuff.

Mike

Easy choice

Get a hold of Trutrak and get a cost to upgrade your digitrak to a pictorial pilot minimum and preferably an ADI.

I was going to upgrade from a Pictorial pilot and seperate ALtrak to an ADI but they wanted the extra cost of the instrument and a $600 upgrade fee.

I got better things to do with 600 bucks

Frank 7a IFR

I agree with others....Pictorial Pilot or Tru Trak ADI is a great choice - you'll have to do the cost trades relative to upgrading your Digitrak.

I originally installed the Pictorial Pilot as my T&B, in case the EFIS failed and I had to fly partial panel. Then I realized that realistically, why the heck would I hand fly anyway in this situation if the PP was working? Just engage it and let it fly while I navigated. But if the SERVO's then failed, I'd still be able to hand fly partial panel....nice redundancy.

Paul

ADI Pilot II works like a charm in both heading mode, NAV mode and ALT hold. It is also a potential backup horizon reference for IFR or maybe a primary for NVFR.

I have the 2 1/4" DigiTrak in as well as the ALT hold. I really don't want to have to do alot of rewiring or figuring out what to with holes that will be created by removing the ALT button and the 2 1/4" DigiTrak. (I don't want a ADI where my DigiTrak currently is, too far on left side of panel, and slightly obstructed by my Garmin 396.)
With all that being said, if I leave my DigiTrak and ALT hold alone and put in the ADI is there any reason to include the internal GPS option on the ADI? My DigiTrak is currently hooked to my Garmin 430.

Not really

I hardly ever use my pictorial pilot with the 430 actually driving, I just prefer to set the heading manually. Like the digitrak you you simply turn a knob on the PP to select the desired heading, the PP will then maintain the ground track....hence I don't see the need ofr the GPS option.

Now I would love to upgrade to an A/P that flies coupled approaches. My buddy has one and his 430w will take him from enroute cruise right down to the ground including procedure turns.

That would be cool..:)

Frank

Frank:
What autopilot is your buddy using?

Does anyone know if any of the TruTrak autopilots are capable of what Frank talked about above?

Digi flight

Not sure if its a 1 or 2?

But I believe the digiflight is the lowest A/P that will couple approaches.

Now, they advertise the 430W will have the digiflight doing the couple approaches on the "precision GPS" approach....I read that as being it will not do an ILS or a non precision approach.

I may well be wrong on that point as I have not researched it.

One of my potential upgrade paths is to keep the Pictorial pilot head as the Turn coordinator and add a Digiflight head into the spare 2 1/4 hole I have in the panel...Then with a 430 to 430W conversion I get the full WAAS "autoland" deal....:)

Its only money right?

Frank

I replaced my turn coordinator with a TruTrak ADI Pilot I in my -7A. After about 100 hours, it more than meets my needs. I use a handheld GPS for the GPS input for now, IFR GPS when I can. I wanted the the quasi backup attitude info because my Blue Mountain EFIS Lite G3 is nowhere near as reliable as it should be.

Altitude hold on the ADI Pilot II will be a nice addition downstream, but for now, my plane is remarkably stable in pitch and, when trimmed well, holds altitude with minimal effort.

Mike

Last edited: