Has anyone done a blog/youtube on replacing a rv10 panel and what is involved.
I am not the original builder so it will all be new to me. I know i will have to replace the panel but will i have to replace the bulkhead behind and the struts between the two?
Many thanks
Stephen

but will i have to replace the bulkhead behind and the struts between the two?
Many thanks
Stephen
All depends on what you choose to put where. And, if the original builder made changes in the structure behind (actually forward of) the panel.

Most likely the bulkhead is OK, methinks.

I am not the original builder so it will all be new to me. I know i will have to replace the panel but will i have to replace the bulkhead behind and the struts between the two?
If you plan on using something deep, like a GTN-650, then yes, the bulkhead between the panel and firewall will need a reinforced cutout to manage the extra depth. This is complicated if you want to do this cutout anywhere other than the bottom of the bulkhead as the center rib is in the way.

Perhaps the original builder added a cutout?

Here is my current build and mockup to figure out where to do this cutout and how to reinforce the rib that is notched to add clearance. The piece of 0.063” plate makes up for the rib cut (the cardboard was a template to make this plate). The wood box is the same size as the GTN-650 tray. Note the photos have this foreward fusleage section upside down.

All that said, if you use a short box like the GPS-175 instead of a GTN-650 (or similar) this clearance hole is not needed.

Carl

Attachments

• 20240428_171453.jpeg
    20240428_171453.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240430_095812.jpeg
    20240430_095812.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240426_110837.jpeg
    20240426_110837.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240424_133935.jpeg
    20240424_133935.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Has anyone done a blog/youtube on replacing a rv10 panel and what is involved.
Many thanks
Stephen
Steve,
Replacing and wiring a new panel is a formidable task. If you have a schematic of the existing panel it will be a lot easier to integrate assuming you have some knowledge of electronics. If you have no experience in aircraft wiring or electronics, you might want to consider one of the vendors who do this professionally.

In regards to the bulkhead behind the panel, the answer is it depends on what equipment and where its located. If you where to use the Aerosport panel, as I have, and mount a GTN650 or Avidyne in the location shown in my photo, you will not have to cut a clearance in the sub-panel. The 650 will slide below the sub-panel. I'm sorry, but did not take any in process photos

IMG_3592.jpg