Little_Richard

Does anybody see any reason to replace the nose gear on a -A model instead of modifying it to comply? This is assuming it is a U-603-2 nose gear that qualifies for an update instead of replacement.

I am not trying to open a can of worms here, just trying to get some opinions.

TIA
Richard

no

but after shipping and repair you will come within 25 $ of a new one and three weeks longer to get it back in the air.
BUT they say at vans they have to drill your new one to match the old one. i dont know why this is. mine was drilled when i got it. all i did was run a reamer through the assy.

The older ones needed to be drilled

The older ones needed to be drilled, so if you have one that you drilled yourself it would need to be sent to Van's to get match drilled. I don't know what the time frame was when they went to the pre-drilled nose gear.

How is it within $25 of the cost of a new one? Isn't a new gear leg $195 compared to getting yours cut off and rethread $75? Maybe I am missing something.

Lucky to live close by. Took the gear leg off. Drove it to Langair (about 30 minutes). Picked it up the next day. Drove to Vans (another 40 minutes), picked up the new gear fork.

Total down time, 2 days. Total level of effort, 4 hours. But then I changed oil, repacked the bearings, and a couple of other small items too!

Keith
N355RV

Geico266,

Your technique might just work. Wish I had tried that a year ago when I did my mod on the workbench.

One item of concern is that you have to apply so much twisting torque to cut the threads, the wooden block may try to slide around with the flex of the leg--you might want to see if a temporary method of attaching the block to the floor could be accomplished.

Good luck and let us know of your success.

Cheers,

db

yes

The older ones needed to be drilled, so if you have one that you drilled yourself it would need to be sent to Van's to get match drilled. I don't know what the time frame was when they went to the pre-drilled nose gear.

How is it within $25 of the cost of a new one? Isn't a new gear leg $195 compared to getting yours cut off and rethread $75? Maybe I am missing something.

100$ . shipping:mad:50 from south carolina and 50 back. for those of you near langair lucky you.
it took 7 days for langair to receive it and will take 7 to return it thay mentioned they will set up for a batch so i figure a week there.
Of course with vans crating fees maybe no difference, but then you didnt mention shipping

Last edited: