messr723

This has probably been discussed several times on the site. I have searched but still have a question, I plan to replace the old crooked TW spring and tail wheel that nearly drags the ground with the API full swivel locking TW and new tapered spring. Not really looking forward to drilling thru the tempered spring in three places, am I right to assume that the springs come undrilled? If so any suggestions for drilling straight holes thru a round bar? Not to mention the thought of trying to start a new bolt in the hole inside the aft fuselage end of the spring. It appears I may have to make a new inspection hole on the side or take the elevators off to get to it? Thanks for any and all ideas Mark

spring

I did it a couple years ago.

At Brown field in san diego where the military tie-down recesses are everywhere I thought the tail wheel was going to rip from the plane when I hit one when the spring down angle would catch.

Didn't remove any tail feathers. I did all the work through the port inspection hole and the tail feather fairing.

I was nervous about drilling he new spring but it was easy. Almost seemed like the end for drilling wasn't tempered. I would buy the spring from Vans pre-drilled for the tail wheel holes and drill the airplane attachment hole yourself.

Side note. My partner thought it was a waste of time and was giving me the constant "you're a moron" razz, but conceded later it was a great idea. We both love it.

Full castering is the ONLY way to go for sure.

more

FYI, the pre-drilled from Vans was really reasonable. We drilled the big hole on a drill press, not in the plane. Easy.

At Brown field in san diego where the military tie-down recesses are everywhere I thought the tail wheel was going to rip from the plane when I hit one when the spring down angle would catch

I feel the same way at brown! I go there for the cheap fuel, but keep thinking it won't be so cheap once my tail wheel is torn off. I'm hoping the tie downs aren't as bad as they look from the cockpit.

If you are commited to using the API tailwheel, We can cut the old tailspring off at the bend and grind it down to accept the new tailwheel. This will eliminate trying to match drill the hole that matches the fuselage. You would still need to drill the bottom to hold the new full swivel API tailwheel on.

We have done a bunch of them this way when the full swivel first came out at Van's

Thanks I will keep you in mind on the grinding, I am still looking at options. I called Vans today and they said they would drill for the tailwheel attach but i had to buy their attach so that the holes would be drilled to match. He said they do not have a jig that would make them all the same, each spring is drilled unique. Oh well

wheel

Love my Bell fork with vans wheel my airport has pot hole tie downs it was my main reason.
Bob