ksauce

Well Known Member
Patron
In my attempt to fix an ongoing fueling issue, I have arrived at the point of replacing the carburetor on my O-320-E3D. It's an MA-4 SPA with vans standard fab. I've already ordered an overhauled carb and it includes the gasket. Is there anything else I need? Also, what's the procedure? I found a copy of the service manual but didn't see anything about actually installing it. Will it require any adjustment? It looks very straightforward, but so many times I read about people attempting simple procedures only to have them go horribly awry. I'm not above having an a&p do the work, but I would love to try it if it's doable for a ham-handed numnum like me.

Last edited:
replacing carb

I recently reinstalled my carb and had a fuel leak at the inlet fitting, even with a new copper washer and proper torquing. An A&P told me that is a notorous area for leakage with a Marvel Dribbler. Before putting your cowling back on, leave your electric fuel pump on for some time and check for a leak.

so what's the secret?

to keeping the carb inlet screen fitting from leaking?

I just did the end-of-annual test run this morning, cowl off, to check for leaks and derned if I didn't have a nice puddle of fuel on top of the FAB. Checked with nothing but the boost pump running and it was coming from the carb inlet fitting.

The mechanic and I just put in a new washer for the first time in some years, and he tightened it to his satisfaction. After I found the leak I tightened it a bit more but it still leaks.

I'll interface with the mechanic Monday am but thought I'd ask what others have done 'cause this one leak I haven't had before now.

thanks,