• Because of that "want" to build /create another beautiful RV

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Because you have to stay busy

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
As I will be starting with my 3rd RV project shortly, I am very interested to know why other people have made the decision two build another and maybe a third RV.

1) Is it because you think there is possibly some financial gain in building and selling your RV later on?
OR
2) It just that want to build and create a beautiful aircraft?

I'm out painting six more yellow coats, on a lower cowl that had paint problems, as the air became too cold late last fall.

And I'm thinking the whole time ................why would I ever want to do this again??? :D

Going out for the fourth coat now.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Never say Never!

Larry,
I said the same thing when I finished my -6A. However, after spending four years on it, it seemd like something was just missing after I finished it. I do part time work, and really felt "at loose ends" without a project or something to focus on between jobs. So, I started another RV. With the new stuff out there for the homebuilts, I am looking forward to getting it done, but only in my time frame.

I don't seem to have the drive I did on the first one, but I think I am enjoying the second one a lot more.

When I put the last bolt in the first one, my thoughts were "never again".

However, the old bug bit a few years later, so here I am.

Financial Gain

IMHO- Maybe, but not much. I have seen a number of bought and sold RV's and the guys that make a little money have nice planes built in a cost conservative manor and then still only made maybe $30K over their cost. If you divide this by hours to build it (say 2000) you get $15 an hour. I also know an AP who builds RV's and he charges $30 an hour or a flat $50K for a basic RV no paint and has a backlog of work. Hope this helps, but unless your an AP, it is mostly for the love of it. The good news in my mind is you can get your money back plus a few buck if you build a good one, so you can pay for the next one. ;) Best CJ

worth more as a flying aircraft???

Would you guys (and gals) agree that an RV is worth more completed and flying than the total sum of all it's parts?

For example, if someone (not me mind you!) were to try and sell a partially completed RV (or any other homebuilt for that matter), would he be better off finishing the aircraft (and spending more money to do that) in order to actually "make a little" form all his/her efforts, than to simply sell what he/she has?

...actually looking for some financial justification with the CFO! :rolleyes:

I got a Lancair 360 airframe about 90% done and developed a deathly allergy to the epoxy and had to sell it. Helped a friend build his Glasstar then built my RV7. Now I am building a Turbine Cubs Super Cub. I've gone from all composite to half composite half metal, metal and now tube and fabric. A guy has to have a little variety in his life. I love to build and went a little stir crazy from December when I flew my 7 until getting the Cub kit in May. The Cub will keep me busy for 8 or 9 months then a friend says he will be ready for a RV 10. To bad work gets in the way of all the fun. Don

IMHO- Maybe, but not much. I have seen a number of bought and sold RV's and the guys that make a little money have nice planes built in a cost conservative manor and then still only made maybe $30K over their cost. If you divide this by hours to build it (say 2000) you get $15 an hour. I also know an AP who builds RV's and he charges $30 an hour or a flat $50K for a basic RV no paint and has a backlog of work. Hope this helps, but unless your an AP, it is mostly for the love of it. The good news in my mind is you can get your money back plus a few buck if you build a good one, so you can pay for the next one. ;) Best CJ

Oh that response helps. I kept hearing that its cheaper to buy then build in most cases. When I run some numbers on my -8 I'm planning ... it seems to be about 20-30K cheaper then what is on the market (say; Barnstormers).

Thanks for all the reponses guys!!
Keep on voting as well please. I am really interested in the outcome.
Will explain a bit later why.

Yes, it is.....

Would you guys (and gals) agree that an RV is worth more completed and flying than the total sum of all it's parts?

I] :rolleyes:

....from what I've seen, Jeff. Looking at partially built kits in any stage, they usually seem to end up selling for a pretty good discount from the receipts. Finished airplanes, except the -6's , sell for even dollars to cost or more for a reallly nice award winner. None, however, seem to end up "paying" the builder near minimum wage though:)

Regards,

The REAL cost of building

When I run some numbers on my -8 I'm planning ... it seems to be about 20-30K cheaper then what is on the market (say; Barnstormers).

If you haven't built an aircraft before, your projected budget will ALWAYS be a gross underestimate. That's because new builders have absolutely no idea of all the things that they will need beyond the kits and the obvious components. I'd say most first time builders eventually spend at least 20-30K more than they ever imagined (and sometimes a lot more than that).

Many projects get turned over simply because costs balloon beyond all expectation.

Don't forget to include the cost of fabrication tools in your budget as well. Remember....if you buy a flying plane you don't need to purchase all those tools.;)

Some builders say they don't include the cost of fabrication tools in their "cost of building" because "it isn't part of the plane". But of course that's a nonsense. WHATEVER you need to spend to complete the plane is the REAL cost of building.....that includes tools, construction insurance, any rented workspace, transport of airframe to an airport, painting etc etc etc. I mean, TELL YOUR WIFE THAT THE TIMBER YOU'RE BUYING FOR THE WING JIG ISN'T PART OF THE COST OF YOUR PET PROJECT.:D

Many builders have no accurate idea of what their plane actually cost to build because they build over quite a few years and pay for things as they go with no real records kept.

I, on the other hand, have kept a kitlog expense record down to the last dollar.....and it is truly frightening. In many ways I'm sorry I kept an accurate record.....it's a bit depressing. It is truly amazing how much money you can spend over the years on simple consumables like degreasing solvents, sandpaper, protective gloves etc etc.

My advice now to prospective RV owners is to build ONLY IF YOU ENJOY BUILDING. Otherwise it's probably cheaper to buy a flying plane (or a very advanced project) when you look at the REAL outlays.

Last edited: