Rick6a

Well Known Member
Phase One is nearly over, the ink isn't even dry on "Darla's" airworthiness certificate, she flies like a dream, the Lasar equipped engine purrs like a cat, and the fuel bills just keep on coming. The only significant pain in the butt squawk has been the failure of the Garmin GI-106A to engage, either in VOR or GPS mode. I have yet to decide on a paint scheme, but that's on next years agenda after the honeymoon is over. Still, I already miss the building process. What to build, what to build? Right off, a quickbuild kit was out of the question. When I look upon the rows and rows of perfectly aligned rivets holding Darla's wings together as we zip along together at altitude, I take enormous satisfaction in knowing I installed those rivets, not someone else for a paycheck. I have a new builders number. It is 82385. Good omen. Contained in the just delivered boxes on the floor are the new beginnings of an RV-8 (or A). This time, there will be no sense of urgency. The three main questions every builder is constantly subjected to follows a distinct pattern during the process. "When will you be done?" Then, "When are you going to fly it?" and finally "What color are you going to paint it?" I will build, fly and paint.....whenever! Right now, I have no idea how I will eventually come up with the money for an instrument panel and new engine/prop, but like my experience with "Darla," things seem to have a way of coming together when they are meant to. Right now, the time not flying is for jig building (matched hole heresy) and head scratching anew. Let the process begin!

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"
RV-8? empennage

empennagerv82bs.jpg

darlaataltitude8tc.jpg

I can hear it now at the next "VA" (Van's Anonymous) meeting. "Hello, I'm Rick, and I'm a Van's-aholic."

I can sure understand the desire to build again. I have been at my 6A for close to 8 years now and have enjoyed every bit of it, even the times when perceived roadblocks were encountered. Its bad enough for me to not have my project at home anymore. That garage sure looks lonesome. But when I get to the airport and open the hangar door to work on N782P, I'm in my "happy place".

Have fun, again, with your new project Rick. I may ask you for some pointers on how to sneak a 9A empenage into the shop. "Really, Dear, I'm just modifiying the airplane I already built. Honest!" :rolleyes:

Regards,

painless said:
I can sure understand the desire to build again. I have been at my 6A for close to 8 years now and have enjoyed every bit of it, even the times when perceived roadblocks were encountered. Its bad enough for me to not have my project at home anymore. That garage sure looks lonesome.
Regards,

Jeff,

If that ain't the truth! I do miss working from the comforts of home. When I got frustrated, I'd simply take a few steps into the living room, plop down and watch junk TV. And those informal 10 and 15 minute work sessions really do add up. A recent thread asks "What would you do different?" On one level my answer would be......not a thing.

Rick

Sounds Like a Hobby

I used to live in your town as a young guy, was AMA #1967, belonged to the Kirkwood Thermaleers and flew every class of free flight model airplane competition except Wakefield and Unlimited Rubber in every city less than 500 miles away plus the National Championships at the Naval Air Stations in Dallas, Willow Grove and Glenview. It was a good time and I can't help but recognize the similarity with your insatiable desire to build another airplane; especially a different airplane with different capabilities. Enjoy the experience.

Bob Axsom

Repeat offenders

Now I know why there are so many repeat offenders. I hope to be one myself, someday. I really feel it would be a waste not to apply all that we've learned building our first aircraft to a second (or third, or...).

Also, if you do something, and it was fun, why not do it again?

btw - how much is the repeat offender discount from Van's? I'm considering this for next winter...

kevinh said:
btw - how much is the repeat offender discount from Van's? I'm considering this for next winter...

The discount is 3%, but only on the kit, not options or accessories.

Rick,

I built about half an RV-6 that isn't listed in my signature, so I know what it was like in the old non-prepunched days. Heck, I even remember melting my own lead counterweights for the elevators :eek:

If that's the sort of work you like, then you're in for a real disappointment with the new -8 tail. The new kits are just awesome, and there are even improvements from the first -8 kit I built (80587) to the current one (82470). I predict you will be pleased :D

Cheers,
Rusty

Just too easy!

13brv3 said:
Rick,

I built about half an RV-6 that isn't listed in my signature, so I know what it was like in the old non-prepunched days. Heck, I even remember melting my own lead counterweights for the elevators :eek:

If that's the sort of work you like, then you're in for a real disappointment with the new -8 tail. The new kits are just awesome, and there are even improvements from the first -8 kit I built (80587) to the current one (82470). I predict you will be pleased :D

Cheers,
Rusty

Hi Rusty,

In all honesty, I was surprised upon opening the -8 empennage kit and discovering for the first time the advanced nature of the newer kits including premade parts that required very little preparation, the individual elevator and rudder stiffeners bound together in 6' lengths already notched at the correct length and predrilled, and of course the much ballyhooed matched hole technology. For a guy who really enjoys the process, it was something of a let-down. My fan spacer, laser level and assortment of aerospace scales (rulers) just collected dust.
That thing went together flawlessly in less than 3 easy weeks, and I even took the time to install nutplates to make all the fiberglass tips removable. Seems like I spent more time prepping and priming parts than anything else. Let me tell you how precise that thing went together. I inadvertently started installing the left hand skin on the right side of the horizontal stab. With half the rivets on one side already shot, I discovered the error. I then clecoed the right side skin on the left hand side. It all fit so perfectly that not ONE SINGLE HOLE anywhere and I mean ANYWHERE had to be wallowed out! That is a truly remarkable feat and is something that simply could not be attained in all the years I worked the production line at McDonnell-Douglas.
img0017207lr.jpg

If I had known a little more about the extreme precision built into the newer kits before I started my second RV, I just might have given the RV-4 a bit of a closer look. I KNOW that model is far more challenging to build just because it is subject to individual builder variances and assembled the slow and traditional way.....with old-fashioned jigs to locate everything and a direct line to Van's for replacement parts botched up on the first attempt!
Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 117 hours

Last edited: