roadrunner20

Well Known Member
I don't place the FAA in high regard and it got worse today.

BTW, FAA.gov doesn't display the FSDO address on their site.
My FSDO is located in an office building without any indication outside the building. The office lobby doesn't list the office is in suite #310.
Fortunately, I knew this. The peephole door was well covered with warning signs about "ID required, will inspect bags, blah, blah blah.
The receptionist buzz me in for my schedule appointment & my interview for the Repairman Certificate.

My FAA interviewer walks by me without eye contact, handshake or a greeting and said "follow me". That's it. Once in the room, she said, "show me what you got". I gave her my id, AC registration, ops limitation, AW inspection, & my repairman app. I placed my builders log and other logs on the table. She made me do the app over as I only had my middle initial and not my full middle name and the date. I had "06" and not "2006". While I was doing that, she said she'd get me my certificate. She came back and had me sign 2 copies and told me to "fly safely".

I thought, "You've got to be kidding me".
I asked her if she wanted to see my builder's log and she declined & said it wasn't necessary.
No interview. Not even a peek of the log.
This is the log that all of us have discussed in detail & made sure we're in the picture while building...

The only good part about all this is that I was outta there in 10 minutes and I won't have to deal with them again.

I'm hope all the FSDOs are not like this one.
I just thought I'd share my experience

Last edited:
At least you got it! I submitted my paperwork to the local FISO and didn't even get a reply. I called the inspector and he wanted to know why I wanted one since I already had an A&P. My reply was that I was eligible for it since I had build the airplane and wanted it. Six months later, I don't have it or an explination why it was denied!

When I got mine last fall, the inspector saw my NASA badge he met me in the lobby, and asked if I knew a couple of guys. Well, they happen to work for me, and years back, they flew with him...so we spent about 10 minutes talking about planes and helicopters, he quickly glanced at my application and the letter my DAR (Mel) gave me recommending me for the certificate, and he went off to type it up. Didn't need to see anything else. Ah well...the same FSDO gave me endless grief a few years back while trying to install STC'd fuel tanks in my old Grumman. I have no complaints getting out of there without a battle!

Paul

FAA Challenge

DanLandry said:
The only good part about all this is that I was outta there in 10 minutes and I won't have to deal with them again.

Jeez Dan, what are complaining about, you got the ticket didn't you?

You wanna challenge, try to return something to Best Buy. Maybe that'll make you feel better :D

Count your blessings ....

And don't look a gift horse in the mouth! :)

So there you go ... trying to make it REALLY tough on us who are coming behind you. When she reads that message, I feel REALLY sorry for the next person to show up. :) :)

Seriously, congrats and be thankful it did not go the OTHER way.

James

What a great FSDO! You're complaining?

What you're saying is that she accepted the recommendation of your DAR. That's what they're supposed to do. You got you cert that day? My app sat in some guy's in-basket for six months. But I can't complain too much since I didn't even have to show up in person.

Those of us who have been in the service know that the most important aspect of any government operation is the paperwork. Obviously, if they're going to let you sign off your own airplane, you have to at least prove you can spell your middle name! I'm surprised your DAR didn't explain that to you.

"You wanna challenge, try to return something to Best Buy. Maybe that'll make you feel better"

Ain't that the truth! Too bad the medical isn't that easy :D

Middle name required?

DanLandry said:
...She made me do the app over as I only had my middle initial and not my full middle name and the date. ...
Is the middle name required? I thought everything just had to match, and if you didn't use your middle name on the original paperwork, then you wouldn't need it on subsequent paperwork? I guess it can't hurt to just always use the full middle name, but often Los Federales just leave enough space for the initial.

When I do an aircraft certification, I assist the builder with the repairman certificate application, explaining the little "pittfalls" like entering height in inches, etc. I also issue a letter of recommendation, as Paul mentioned, and a list of what to take for the FAA interview. The standard proceedure is for the FAA inspector to interview the applicant and he/she should issue the temporary certificate at that time. I have found in many cases that the inspector will wave the interview because of my letter. Even though I have known of people getting their certificate by mail, this isn't supposed to happen. The FAA inspector is supposed to interview you in person.
Several years ago, it was proposed to allow the DARs to issue the certificate, but since it is technically an "airman certificate" it was determined that it should be issued by FAA inspectors only.

Hope they don't read this.

I hope they don't read this thread, change the policy and screw the rest of us not as far along as you. :)

Congrats on having a finished airplane by the way.

I don't believe you need the Repairman certificate if you have an A&P certificate. I think that the A&P certificate may actually supercede any repairman certificates.
It really sounds as though the person had enough respect of you for completing the airplane that any questioning wasn't necessary.

Vic

RV7Guy said:
Jeez Dan, what are complaining about, you got the ticket didn't you?

You wanna challenge, try to return something to Best Buy. Maybe that'll make you feel better :D
Ain't that the truth!!! I wonder if there is a "Best Buy Return Gripe" forum?

vic syracuse said:
I don't believe you need the Repairman certificate if you have an A&P certificate. I think that the A&P certificate may actually supercede any repairman certificates.
Correct - you don't need the Repairman cert. for your homebuilt if you're an A&P. Doesn't hurt to have it though, unless your FSDO is power-tripping and gives you a hard time about it. Then it might get painful...

The A&P supercedes the Repairman cert. as it applies to experimental aircraft, but not in other stuff in the certificated world. For example, an A&P cannot legally overhaul a propeller for a certificated aircraft... but a Repairman (working at a Certificated Repair Station for that prop) can.

And you would rather have more scrutiny from the FAA? Let me help answer that one... no, you don't! been there, done that.

When I got mine, they didn't look at any of my supporting documents. Just noticed I came with what looked like backup and then went over the form.

Also, you can apply/request endorsement to take one or both or the A&P practical exams as related to your homebuilding experience. I got the airframe endorsement. Couldn't talk them into the powerplant part, even though I overhauled my own engine.

Ain't that the truth!!! I wonder if there is a "Best Buy Return Gripe" forum?

About 10 years ago I bought my parents, who live 1500 miles from me, a shiny new stove/oven from Best Buy. I bought a slightly 'wrong' model and had it scheduled for delivery to their home. I discovered the mistake and was able to get it corrected over the phone - problem is, they charged me for the new stove and didn't refund the money for the old one. After calling both the store and headquarters for 2 months, I finally gave up. Never once did I talk to anyone other than the pimply-faced kid that answered the phone. I held literally for hours (long-distance) waiting for a manager. My local stores couldn't do anything to help. Had I used anything but a Best-Buy credit card, I could have charged it back. But Best-Buy's credit card people told me I had to deal with the store manager.

Best Buy stole $600 from me and I'll never walk into one of their stores again. I should have sued them.

Sorry, I know this is O/T.

Repairmen cert

I have to say that I have heard many stories about the poor FAA relations.
I feel very fortunate to have nothing but the best experences with the feds.
When starting to build my "6", I met the FAA Inspector at your local airport. He was inspecting a restoration job. To make along story short, I have never had any problem with the FAA. Even after Don, the FAA inspector, retired and the new guy joined the game have I had a problem. Got my repairmens cert. without a problem in less than an hour. BUT now if you want to talk about "ramp checks", can I tell you a story.
Well be safe out there
Rich
RV-6 721-ET

vic syracuse said:

If you have an A&P but don't have the repairman's certificate, can you sign off on your annual or will you need to find someone with inspection authorization (IA)?

IA is not required on experimental, or light-sport aircraft. And be sure not to call it an "annual". Even thought it happens annually, it is called a "condition inspection". An annual is signed off as "airworthy", whereas a condition inspection is signed off as "in a condition for safe operation." The term airworthy indicates that it meets the type certificate. An amateur-built aircraft does not have a type certificate.

Last edited:
Hwood said:
So Dan, was she good looking?

No!

BTW, I'm happy to receive the cert & happy to get out with it. I was ready to be interviewed & to display my well prepared logs.
On my call to request an appointment, they wanted me to come in the next day. I waited a week.
I guess I was better off than most.

Now on to first flight.

Last edited:
Are you up for the job?

Dan, if you can do the work then maintain your airplane and fly safely! Otherwise, get an A&P to work with you. On the many certified airplanes we owned, we did all owner assisted work (over 15 years). With our RV-9A inspections and repairs, if we have any questions, we either ask someone that knows or find a reference book. My experience with the FSDO office was a 3-hour on-site interview with a number of technical questions, and at the end, he said: ?if you have any questions, just ask your local A&P or a nearby shop?.

John