Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Has anyone applied for a repairman certificate lately. I wondered how the virus shutdowns have affected obtaining one. Can you do it online now or what?
Thanks for any input!

I had my interview at the FSDO scheduled back in March. They postponed it twice and ended up cancelling it with a promise to get back to me when they were back up and running. Sure enough, about two weeks ago they called and said they'd be able to do it with a combination of email & snail mail. Presumably we'd have a phone call as well. That's in process now so don't know for sure how it'll turn out.

When I certificate an amatuer-built aircraft I issue a "Letter of recommendation" for the repairman certificate. The North Texas FSDO gives this letter some weight and so far none of the applicants I've recommended have had a problem getting the certificate.

Letter of recomindation

Mel, the Atl FSDO does not want them

Guess it varies

Misspelling and unable to edit

FAA

About a year before completion, I contacted the SAT FSDO and they were nice enough to come and inspect the aircraft, and then come back 6 months later for a final check. They issued me the Airworthiness Certificate, Phase I Op-lims, and my Repairman Certificate on the spot.

...and it didn't cost a dime (other than taxes)...

Recently got my Repairman and it was done completely via email. I think I was the first for this office because the process involved 20-30 emails back and forth.

I too had an appointment with the San Antonio FISDO and it was cancelled due to the lockdown. About a month ago it was rescheduled and I went down there will all of my paperwork. Stood across a pane of glass, slid my documentation under the slot and the examiner reviewed it in about 10 min. In another 10 min all of the forms were completed and I was out of there with my temporary certificate.

I'm on my way to the Des Moines FSDO on 7/15. They are located at the Ankeny airport. Can't go into the office at all, but he will meet me outside to complete the paper work. I already sent in my application along with the build documentation.

Looking forward to flying there if weather is good.