Tram

Well Known Member
Well, it was bound to happen.. I scuffed a wintip up a bit the other night pushing the plane back into the hangar.

Recently sold my house so the hangar is doubling as a storage unit for everything the apartment won't hold......

So, I pushed the 6 back into one of our Bronco's.

It's not a terrible scratch, but I'd like to fix it. Mostly just scratch the paint and primer, no damage to the wing tip.

Short of pulling the wingtip and having someone spray it, what's the best way to go about this?

I found a very close paint color match with one of those small touch-up auto paint bottles with applicator cap at an auto parts store. Works great.

This is a good argument for picking colors found on cars so you can get matching touch up paint, even spray paint.

I found a very close paint color match with one of those small touch-up auto paint bottles with applicator cap at an auto parts store. Works great.

This is a good argument for picking colors found on cars so you can get matching touch up paint, even spray paint.

Luckily we're only talking white, but white can be hard to match. I guess I'll have to look around..

You can get a local Automotive Paint Supply store to come with their paint match camera and take a reading then get you some matching paint and out it in a spray can. The spray can sometimes modifies the color a tad, but that's the best way to get a reasonably close match if you can't find a rattle can on the shelf that matches.

Edit: You could also take a part that is easier to remove to them to have it matched.

Do you know anyone with or have access to a airbrush? An airbrush works great with being able to concentrate the paint into the area to be repaired without worrying about the paint overlapping or overspray.

Do you know anyone with or have access to a airbrush? An airbrush works great with being able to concentrate the paint into the area to be repaired without worrying about the paint overlapping or overspray.

I've got both an HVLP and a small model aircraft type airbrush, just haven't ever used the HVLP beyond shooting large farm type equipment.. ;)

...and since nobody has mentioned.....

depending on the size and position of the scratch, buff smooth with polishing compound, and add a vinyl stripe on each wingtip to match, covering the damaged area.
yeah, kind of a 'duct tape' solution, but could end up nicer and simpler than a lot of painting?! :rolleyes:

( ever wonder why used cars have lots of fancy graphics running down the side, right where the door dents and chips were???)