zman

I repaired a 6" vertical crack w/ weld-on liquid and filled the "crack stop-drill hole" w/weld-on #16 solvent cement. However, some cement did spill to the outside of the hole to the canopy and now I am left with the problem of cleaning or "Polishing-Off" the residual.
Does any one have a Polishing Procedure to try to remove the dried cement and blend in the repaired canopy crack ??

ZMAN

Depending how much glue? Wet sand 800,1000,1500,2000. Trying to sand the plexi as little as possible. Then buff with 3M Perfect-it 3000 (06062) then finish with 3M trizact spot finishing (06070) never letting it dry out! Clean cloth only!!! If using machine, buff with wool, finish with foam. WET. This 3M stuff is just like majic.:) If you sand into the plexi to deep you will see it a mile away:eek:

Last edited:
thankx Frank, EAA had an article Nov 2007.."A Lesson in Plastic Repair" they talk about using the "Urethane Supply Company's -Headlight Magic restoration kit" to finish a canopy repair...Any thoughts...the kit uses wet-sanding pads from 120 grit to 12,000 grit, polishing cloths and buffing solution. Do you think this process is similar to your suggestion ?

Zman

thankx Frank, EAA had an article Nov 2007.."A Lesson in Plastic Repair" they talk about using the "Urethane Supply Company's -Headlight Magic restoration kit" to finish a canopy repair...Any thoughts...the kit uses wet-sanding pads from 120 grit to 12,000 grit, polishing cloths and buffing solution. Do you think this process is similar to your suggestion ?

Van's sells a plexi polishing kit also. It has the required sandpaper, liquids, etc.

edit: maybe not, as I don't see it anymore.

L.Admason

Last edited: