flickroll

Well Known Member
How easy is it to repair a crack in a canopy? The crack is about 2" long and has been stop drilled. What materials are used (is there a kit for this)? How difficult is the repair? How noticeable would the repaired area be? Thanks

How easy is it to repair a crack in a canopy? The crack is about 2" long and has been stop drilled. What materials are used (is there a kit for this)? How difficult is the repair? How noticeable would the repaired area be? Thanks

Funny you ask this question... I just got back from meeting Mel, and asked an almost identical question about a canopy he has in his hangar with about a 1" crack and a hole from stop drilling... he said there is no way to fix it. Just glue it and glass over it to hide it... I'm sure others will chime in.

There is an acrylic cement called Weldon #3 that is very good for fixing these cracks. The repair will be visible, but it will be structurally sound. Available from A/C Spruce and others.

My own builder-induced crack hasn't moved a micron in 500 hours after the Weldon treatment and stop drilling.

Soldering iron

Sad to say, before I knew about Weldon, I put a crack in my canopy while enlarging the hole where the latch goes. We stop drilled it and used a hot soldering iron to melt the crack together.

Then we sanded and polished the area. Not the ideal repair, but it did work.
YMMV