Tango Mike

Well Known Member
I need to clean and prepare the inside surface of the top and bottom cowls on an RV-6 for repainting. In addition to cleaning, the original paint has peeled away in a few places. Any suggestions for the steps to take, products to use, and especially the type of paint would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I repainted mine...

Last winter. Sprayed 409 on generously, scrubbed with a bristle brush and rinsed with a power washer. Did that about 3 times. Left to dry a couple days in the sunshine. After spraying the outside of the cowl with 2 part single stage auto paint, I kept the leftover paint in the fridge for a couple days (so it wouldn't set up) and then used that paint with a small roller to apply it to the inside surface. Hanging on well so far.

I need to clean and prepare the inside surface of the top and bottom cowls on an RV-6 for repainting. In addition to cleaning, the original paint has peeled away in a few places. Any suggestions for the steps to take, products to use, and especially the type of paint would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I used Petit Easypoxy (1-part polyurethane boat paint). It has stood up very well over the past 13 years. It has yellowed a bit where the exhaust pipes pass near, but no other issues. If you are re-painting a cowl that has been exposed to oil and gas. You will need to carefully degrease, water rinse, solvent wipe, scuff sand, final solvent wipe. No need to prime. You can apply the paint with a foam brush and/or foam roller. Google "rolling and tipping" for excellent Youtube videos on this technique.

Good luck,