Mile High Relic

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm curious how most people make the decision on whether to rent a hangar or just tie down outside when they are away from home. Over the years I have flown a fair amount of overnight x-country trips, but I have never rented a hangar. The club planes I have had access to were all reasonably nice, but nothing that I would be afraid to leave outside for a few days, assuming no major storms were likely. I always thought the expense of a hangar was too large compared to the tie down fees, which are usually just a few dollars.

Now however, I am a sole owner of pretty nice RV-6, and I think my opinion is changing.

How does every one else decide? Always hangar? Never bother? Depends on the weather?

I'll be making a trip from Denver to Central Minnesota in a few weeks, and the hangars are $35 a night at BRD. An extra hundred bucks for the trip sounds like a little bit of an extravagance, but not having to worry about the possibility of a storm or high winds seems like it might be worth it.

I guess the best case would be if you can find a fellow RV'r with some space on the field you are going to, but I don't really know that many people around the forums yet. There isn't anyone on the RV white pages showing Brainard as home.

Overnight stop, and me being in the area, my Cessna 180 stays outside.

Several days, me out of the area, hangars available, probably opt for one.

Dave

Depends on weather. I kept her hangared overnight in Ohio with the threat of freezing precip. Other that that, a few days outside here and there shouldn't hurt. I do use a light canopy cover though.

Hangar

Weather, length of stay, and cost all count in my decision. I have had a surprising number of free hangars in my travels, Sunshine has spent a number of nights under the wing of a Gulfstream. Packing heavy tiedowns, a canopy cover, and control locks will almost assure a free hangar. :rolleyes:

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Depends on the weather. Thunderstorms with hail? YES. No hail in the forecast, no. Tied down Monday through Friday for 6-weeks on one business trip.

Like everyone else - depends on the weather. I have no problems leaving the Val or Mikey outside with good canopy covers unless high winds, storms or hail are predicted. In the winter, I like a hangar so that I don't have to worry about preheat or breaking something that is frozen. But these are not delicate machines that require a hangar every night of their lives in my opinion....

Paul