Looking forward to getting out there someday to see it in person (the RV gang gathering nearby, of course).

Reno

Looking forward to getting out there someday to see it in person (the RV gang gathering nearby, of course).

You're not getting any younger! My old flying buddy used to say "You only have so many days left in your life to do everything you ever wanted to do. Might as well get on with it".

The Pylon Racing school is next month I believe

I'm thinking of stopping in on my way to the race in Washington at the end of the week. I think it would be an experience to see Bob Mills, Mark Frederick and some of our other RV'rs going through the prep school/certification or what ever it is in June for the race in September. Maybe others would be interested in this "inside the Reno Machine" look where you can get to know the players. With the involvement of the NTSB the whole thing may deteriorate into a regulatory mess only for the very rich.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Will be there

Never been but have an invite this year from a friend who has rented a box. If I decided to fly there in the RV is there a RV friendly airport nearby?

I haven't been there in years

When I did go I landed and parked at the big main airport at Reno and all small planes were parked on the grass. The first time near the center and the next time north and east of the runways beside a golf course with no tiedowns enforced and none available other than what you brought. I have landed a couple of times at South Lake Tahoe, tied down on the hard ramp and rented a car that you could use to drive to a hotel in Reno. I have thought of Truckee or Carson City but never landed at either one so don't know about their services. The young Steve Hinton that I saw that won the unlimited class was flying a super corsair so you need some later information I'm sure.

Bob Axsom

RV friendly airport nearby

Never been but have an invite this year from a friend who has rented a box. If I decided to fly there in the RV is there a RV friendly airport nearby?

Carson City is where we landed last year. It is RV friendly and tie downs in front of the FBO is nice for security. I left my RV7 unlocked and every thing was ok. The airport is fenced and gated. Fuel is self serve and across the airport. Nice people at FBO. $5 per night.

It's friendly except during the Reno air races. The TFR keeps you out or trapped there all week.

-Andy

In the past, during the waivered period, its been possible to arrive or depart before 0700 and after 1700 (times approx). When the final waiver language comes out for the races this year, we'll see if that is still possible. The long pole in the tent is parking. There really is no transient parking during the races, as the ramp becomes all display area or pit area. If you have a host with a hangar spot for you inside, then its doable, but certain hangars (like mine and others) are not accessible for in and out taxi once the week starts, so you're "stuck" for the week. Staying at Stead requires planning and flexibility, but can be done if your hosted.

As has been said here, Carson (CXP), Minden (MEV), Truckee (TRK), and (to a lesser degree) South Tahoe (TVL) are options. Silver Springs (SPZ) is east of Carson and may be a parking option. It typically has cheap gas, and is a wide open airport with few tenants. Not sure how many transients they would take, but we can touch base with the owners to see if they could accomodate. Its a bit out of town, so the logistics of rental cars may be an issue.

The Reno RV gang will do a little study between now and the races and try to have some good gouge for those coming to the races (and the R3 BBQ, of course!) ;)

Cheers,
Bob

PS: If you are coming to visit during PRS, the airport is open, but there are waiver periods, requiring clearance from the temporary tower and/or airboss. Early or late is the best option for in and out during PRS as well. Plenty of ramp space for parking, and great viewing of the race planes and the flying.

Carson City is where we landed last year. It is RV friendly and tie downs in front of the FBO is nice for security. I left my RV7 unlocked and every thing was ok. The airport is fenced and gated. Fuel is self serve and across the airport. Nice people at FBO. $5 per night.

I've also used Carson City with good results....:)