Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
At www.airrace.org if you click on For Pilots, then on Rookie Schools, you will find that applications are being accepted for the program in June but the application must be accepted by May 3, 2013. Special insurance requirements must be met and if you are interested that is a very short time. If you are a young vigorous pilot it is still be doable but I have been working on it for months and it is not easy. For example the latest communication with my agent:

Date: Monday, April 1, 2013 12:40 PM

To: 'Bob Axsom' <[email protected]>

Subject: RE: New PRS information

Size: 5 KB
Mr. Axsom,

Thanks for the information. I will see what I can do about the PRS.

Aerospace Insurance Managers declined to offer a quote, even for just
pleasure use. I am still waiting to hear back from Specialty Aviation
Underwriters. I will let you know once I receive a response.

Best regards,
Rob Glover
Falcon Insurance Agency of AZ, Inc.
P.O. Box 13503
Scottsdale, AZ 85267
Phone: 800-880-3597
Fax: 480-483-0645
[email protected]
California License #0D85807
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:49 AM
To: Rob Glover
Subject: New PRS information

Accessed in the following manner:

www.airrace.org
Click on "For Pilots
Click on Rookie Schools
Click on the blue link at the bottom of the screen "The 2013 Pylon Racing
Seminar Application"

I copied the insurance requirement on page 8 (as I recall) and pasted it
below. Key points I recognize:

It does not require race coverage for the Pylon Racing Seminar (PRS)
It does require a list of additional insured
The entire package needs to be received by them by May 3 - that is 19 days
earlier than last year.
I also need a 2nd class medical which I don't want to do if we can't get the
insurance
If the PRS and the Race coverage cannot be obtained the PRS by itself is an
acceptable compromise

2013 PARTICIPANT INSURANCE REQUIREMENT
We are requiring that each participant at the 2013 Pylon Racing Seminar who
brings an aircraft provide evidence of liability coverage on their aircraft
subject to the following limits and conditions:
1. Minimum Liability Limit - Combined Single Limit $1,000,000 Bodily Injury
(excluding passengers) and Property Damage.
2. RARA must be listed as an Additional Insured using the following
verbiage: Reno Air Racing Association, Inc., d.b.a. National Championship
Air Races, its Directors, Officials, President and CEO, Employees,
Volunteers, Agents, Underwriters and Sponsors, Washoe County, City of Reno,
Reno Tahoe Airport Authority, University of Nevada, Reno. (Certificates that
do not list RARA as additional insured will not be accepted.)
3. All pilots approved to fly the aircraft as pilot in command must be
listed.
4. Purpose must be listed: Pylon Racing Seminar
5. Passenger Liability: On any plane that will have passengers (student with
an instructor only).
In order to properly review and approve each document, the certificate of
insurance must be received in our office on or before May 3, 2013. It is
important that you know that evidence of coverage is a requirement of our
organization's liability underwriters. Anyone not providing evidence of
liability coverage will not be allowed to participate.
If you are not bringing an aircraft but will be flying someone else's
aircraft as pilot in command, you must be listed on that aircraft's
insurance as an approved pilot.

Bob Axsom

YAHOO!!!!

Mr. Axsom,

Good News! I FINALLY received a quote from Specialty Aviation and they are
willing to include the Pylon School and the Air Race. Please see the
attached quote and let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Rob Glover
Falcon Insurance Agency of AZ, Inc.
P.O. Box 13503
Scottsdale, AZ 85267
Phone: 800-880-3597
Fax: 480-483-0645
[email protected]
California License #0D85807

Thanks Bob

Now I have to get that 2nd Class medical, as the only other thing controlled by others that would keep me from getting my application completed and in by the May 3 deadline. I guess I had better get back to bed to help with the health business before the 2nd class medical exam. I guess I will have to go through the MedXpress thing I did in December for the 3rd class all over again.

I was told by Gerald Lloyd in Pine Bluff that there is a formation training clinic in North Carolina in May that I could monitor although the class is full and has a waiting list for actual participation but it is the same weekend as the air race in Galveston. I would rather not do that since I am currently #1 in class, category and overall in SARL standings after the first two races in 2013.

Bob Axsom

Congrats Bob! I remember last year at PRS I was still working my insurance company 20 min before our first flight becuase RARA didn't like the wording in my policy..

I won' have Unleashed at PRS this year, but will be racing in September.

Tom McNerney

I remember ...

I remember you and your teammate keeping your airplane spotless in the hangar to our right. You were next to Mark Frederick's Rocket until he had to drop out and I moved my RV-6A into the corner of the Sport Class hangar to provide the space in Bob Mills hangar for Mark's plane.

I guess I could still be faced with that problem problem of wording acceptability - thanks for the heads up.

Bob Axsom

Congrats Bob! I remember last year at PRS I was still working my insurance company 20 min before our first flight becuase RARA didn't like the wording in my policy..

Tom McNerney

Tom, sorry we won't see you at PRS...but look forward to flying with you in September! Say hi to the KC Flight boys when you see them!

Now I have to get that 2nd Class medical, as the only other thing controlled by others that would keep me from getting my application completed and in by the May 3 deadline. I guess I had better get back to bed to help with the health business before the 2nd class medical exam. I guess I will have to go through the MedXpress thing I did in December for the 3rd class all over again.

I was told by Gerald Lloyd in Pine Bluff that there is a formation training clinic in North Carolina in May that I could monitor although the class is full and has a waiting list for actual participation but it is the same weekend as the air race in Galveston. I would rather not do that since I am currently #1 in class, category and overall in SARL standings after the first two races in 2013.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

The weekend of May 11 has no races, and I'm off. It's a long haul, but if you want to do some form training, we can meet here (gives you more familiarity with the PRS environs), or maybe Vegas (I can arrange another lead or safety pilot there too), or somewhere in between us. Lemme know.

Cheers,
Bob

OH man that seems daunting

I recognize the extremely valuable opportunity so I have to try it. I have a race in Llano, TX in 4-27-13; one in Abilene, TX on 5-4-13; Galveston TX on 5-18-13; Terrell TX on 5-25-13; Durant, OK on 6-7-13 and the PRS starts days later so the weekend of 5-11-13 is the only one open. I will plan on it.

I've landed at Goodland, Kansas so many times they will probably have a nut roll and Dr. Pepper waiting for me in the FBO when they hear my number. The other outbound stop is at Rockfield, WY. Even in a fast RV chasing the sun, Fayetteville Arkansas to Reno in a day is a long trip. It will toughen me up for the races in the northwest like Ephrata, WA.

Bob Axsom

Upset training?

Bob I was just going to set up the upset training here locally. If we can do that during the same visit I can avoid all of the coordination and flight activity here and that makes a trip to Reno much more appealing. Can we do those two things as a one time multi-task?

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
2nd Class Medical scheduled for tomorrow.

If I get by that I can complete the application I think and focus on the Formation and upset training. It would be good to see some of my high performance RV racing associates at the PRC but I'm too old to wait around for company. Hope this works out.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Unleashed at Reno 2012

IMG_6327_zpsebdae67b.jpg

Tom McNerney