Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
I am waiting to paint my RV until spring, but would like to protect the wings while I am flying this winter by using wing-walk material or similar. Anybody have experience removing wing-walk materials from bare aluminum (obviously I will want to do this before painting)?

thanks,
greg

It will be just like removing a large sticker. You may find some of the adhesive will stay on the airplane. To remove the adhesive you can use any number of common solvents. Most are what you will use in the paint prep process anyway.

It will be just like removing a large sticker. You may find some of the adhesive will stay on the airplane. To remove the adhesive you can use any number of common solvents. Most are what you will use in the paint prep process anyway.

Yep, exactly what I did. The wing-walk material came right off, and I used lacquer thinner and a scotchbrite pad. 5 minutes and I was done.

Happy New Year

Use a hair dryer and the "sticker" will pull right off. 3M makes a great adhesive remover for things like this also.

The very best wing walk that I have found is the stuff the kids use on their skate boards. It is tough and has a real good gripping surface and sticks to the AL very well. I figure if the kids can't wreck it then a few times that people walk on it to get into the plane it should last forever. It is also very cheap. I think it costs me about $11.00 Can. to do both wings. Works well on the steps too.