gossend

Well Known Member
Patron
I installed the (then) popular dark window vinyl to the inside top of my canopy 20 years ago. You simply cut it to shape, misted water on the plexi, and squeegee'd the film into place. It was soft and pliable - even formed somewhat to the compound curves of the canopy. To remove, simply peel it off.......not 20 years later, tho!
Today I decided to remove and replace it with a nicer, newer color tone. Bad idea. The stuff is hard as a rock and comes off in match-head size pieces. Cant stop now, tho! The canopy is off, and upside down on blankets on my workbench. At this rate, I will be back in the air by 2021! But then my transponder will be out of date! HELP !!
Anyone know of a solvent or something to help this along without destroying the plexiglass?

Ammonia

I have removed this film from cars. Once the film is off, the adhesive can be removed the ammonia. Not sure if it will do anything with film still intact. Also not sure of effect on canopy.

what kind of film?

you might get some info from the manufacturer.
If this is the typical cling film, I think you've just discovered plasticizer migration.
The 2 products are trying to become one!
A good warning for anyone using this, that the stuff is meant to be temporary.

If you've used the true automotive film with the water-based adhesive, I don't think there is a magic solvent, I'd try gentle heat & a plastic razor blade to try to separate the film from the acrylic.
A scratch or gouge is likely, but hopefully you're not looking thru this part anyway.
Then you will have the extremely UV baked adhesive left...then lots of trial & error with Goo Gone, mineral spirits etc. and gentle mechanical abrasion ( scraping) to break it free.
As others have said, it's not that hard to scrape off auto glass, but plexi is another story.
good luck!

Not recommending.... But on Auto Glass to remove the WATER APPLIED film I've used a heat gun to warm it up, then pulled it off and then used "SIMPLE GREEN" to soften and remove the adhesive...

No actual experience with the CLING TYPE film on PLEXI.

dont even think about it!

For your airplane: dont even think about it!
I'll admit this product has been on there and cooked in the sun from time to time for years, but i don't recommend it even for a week.

At this point, the only easy way to get it off is to remove the airplane. If you douse the airplane with gasoline and set it ablaze, the film will be found melted and deformed, but basically intact, and dutifully protecting the smoldering ruins of your airplane from the ravages of the sun. Great stuff.

On the other hand, if you want to remove the film instead of the airplane, kerosene, WD-40, Coleman fuel, mineral spirits, GOO-Gone, GOOF OFF, and hot soapy water don't work. The only thing I've found to 'work', sort-of, is a heat gun, as has been suggested here.
Heating the plexi (and film) to 150F makes the film turn pliable, and the adhesive begins to release - one mm at a time, but in a week or so you can get it off. Then clean up the incredibly nasty adhesive (that you didn't even know was there when you "squeegee'd it on with just water") with Goof-Off or something.
A word to the not-so-wise: don't focus that heat gun on a small area all at once, or your problem will get much bigger and more expensive.

Steam?

Hi Dick,

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the window film. I recently had to remove some window film from my truck and found myself in a similar situation. Long story short, I ended up using a clothes steamer like the one linked below and it worked great. The film and adhesive came off in mostly one piece and left little residue. Can't promise it would work the same on plexiglass, but perhaps worth a try.

Steamer like mine:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015R29X8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

David

Good idea!

Thanks, David. The steamer is a great idea because the temperature is limited - Steam can't be hotter than 212F at sea level, so there's a measure of control you simply dont have with a heat gun.
Thanks again.

my thought is to determine which solvent to use. then build a submersion tank and let it loosen up the stuff over time. good luck. :(