N925JL

Patron
I am removing my Vacuum Pump as I am doing way with vacuum powered mechanical gyros. Do I need to cover the portion of the vacuum pump attache point with a blank cover to keep oil from leaking out of the engine?

Jerry Ludwig
N925JL
sn 22439

Yes,

I am removing my Vacuum Pump as I am doing way with vacuum powered mechanical gyros. Do I need to cover the portion of the vacuum pump attache point with a blank cover to keep oil from leaking out of the engine?

Jerry Ludwig
N925JL
sn 22439

There is a specific plate for that.

Use a gasket as well.

Just did it.

Another option: An inverted oil system will need a return port. The vacuum pump mount is an excellent place to put it. At least, on an O-320 E2D.

You will need to replace the studs

You will need shorter studs. Be careful, there was a post some time ago that suggested using bolts. Don't do it, they will leak. You need the interference fit of the stud in the case.

You will need shorter studs. Be careful, there was a post some time ago that suggested using bolts. Don't do it, they will leak. You need the interference fit of the stud in the case.
I know a couple of O-320's that have steel spacers (just pieces of heavy-wall steel tubing the same ID as the stud OD) as "long washers" to hold the blanking plate in place. No stud change necessary. Not as clean looking, perhaps, but it saves replacing the studs.

I'm not installing a vacuum pump, and on my new IO-360 from Lycoming, there is a housing or "standoff" a couple of inches think, then the cover plate. Because of the housing, no spacer is needed.

Does your engine not have this housing mounted on the accessory pad?