grayforge

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

With a mind towards keeping unnecessary weight off my build, I'm removing the vacuum pump adapter and drive gear. I did a bunch of research and most people, including Mahlon, say that removing the gear and re-installing the cover plate is perfectly fine. The only issue is the long studs that either need to be removed and swapped with shorter studs/bolts or have spacers installed over them.

However, a few have mentioned a reduction in oil pressure can be caused by removing the gear. Plus, there's the part: LW-10303, which is a $150 plug to replace the gear.

So do you need the plug or don't you and are there any issues with not installing it? I wonder why this part exist if it's not needed.

Thanks!
Russ

The only way that you would have a reduction in pressure is if you remove the gear and leave the adapter on. Remove the gear and adapter as a pair. Install the cover by itself using either spacers and nuts, or by removing the long studs and installing either shorter studs or bolts. This is all that's required.
Ryan

Ah, that's a good explanation. So exactly what's going on in there with the adapter in place, but gear removed?

I love finding ways to drop a free pound here & there.

Thanks,
Russ

Oil passage from accessory case goes into adapter housing for gear lube. Cover plate blocks the hole when adapter is removed. Adapter in place but no shaft means oil pumped into open shaft hole.