szicree

Well Known Member
I have a Superior XP360 configured for fixed pitch operation but with the prop governor adapter installed. I would like to remove it to get a little room and save some weight. While at it, I'd also like to remove the vacuum pump pad and gear. It looks like the cover plate on the vacuum pad will work fine as a block-off plate, but I need one for the governor adapter. Can somebody point me towards a source for such a plate and also tell me if I'm overlooking some issue?

Also, the vacuum pad studs are way too long, but I suspect they could be very difficult to get out. Is there an approved method to make use of them, such as some type of tubing spacer?

Last edited:
Best advice I have is leave it alone.... I fell into that trap... now I know better.

Good info but not quite what I was looking for. I've got two separate issues.

1. Regarding the governor drive, it's already on the engine and it has a cover plate on it. I'm looking to take this drive assembly off and put a plate on the accessory housing. I see that Van's offers one, but it's not clear to me whether this covers the end of the drive or the spot where the drive would go.

2. The situation with the vacuum pump drive is the same. It's on the engine and has a cover plate on it. It's clear that the plate would fit just fine on the accessory case, but the studs would be way too long.

3. Things are fine with respect to the crank plugs as the engine was built for F.P. operation.

OK to remove - they slide out

They can be removed and the cover fastened directly to the accessory housing. There isn't any trick to it - they slide right off. The vacuum pump has four studs that will require a spacer (short tube) if you leave them on the housing. I removed them and used bolts instead. The attached sketches from the Lycoming Parts Catalog show what I am talking about.

It might be a good idea to use new gaskets under the cover plates. The parts catalog shows the part numbers as:

Governor: 69551
Vacuum: 8313

Be careful with those vacuum pad studs!

I removed them from my IO360-A1B. The problem was that they were a very tight fit in the accessory case. I got three of them out with a little grunting. I thought the fourth one was turning out but, in fact, it was breaking off! It took three days of hard work to get the broken stud out of the case.