My question is can I remove the fuel pump on a -4 without first removing the engine. Remember how tight it is to the firewall.
I had tried on my RV-4 but never been able to get the pump on or off with the engine fully installed due to interference with the footwell extension on the firewall (and can't get a new fuel vent in there with the pump installed either :( ). As others have posted the pump will go on and off (usually) but the cap screws won't. I've supported the engine with a hoist and loosened the mount bolts to let the top sag a little to pull it off, but it's still a pain.

Nauga,
who dreads any maintenance on the accessory case

Will the constant speed pump come off easily!

Thanks for the replies. Not what I wanted to hear, but I did suspect.

So I think I need to change the name of this thread to "Will the constant speed pump (Not sure what to call it) come off easily if I can get the nuts undone?" Anyone any advice there? Hoping to hear better news!

Yes you can

Last year, Lycoming had a recall on a fuel pump that forced me to replace mine. We were able to remove it and replace it without removing the engine. The hardest parts were removing the fuel lines and replacing the safety wire.

Its (very) helpful to have a ball-end hex driver in a 1/4" ratchet to remove the socket head cap screws. A flashlight and mirror helps with the saftey wire.

I elected to replace the fuel vent with an appropriately sized pipe plug through which I drilled a small hole.

Be sure to carefully clean the mounting surface (on the engine case) before installing the new pump.

The task sounds worse than it is. I recall it took an hour or two.

Good luck,

Dean Pichon
RV-4/400 hrs
Bolton, MA

fuel pump

I installed a used engine on my -4 and waited to replace my fuel pump untill after i had installed the engine. it wasn't all that hard to get off but i hadn't installed all fo the other stuff on the firewall it did take some work to get the right oreintation to get out of the engine mount. a little patience goes a long way.
Dennis

Been there

I spend three days last summer replacing the fuel pump on my -4. The old one came off easily enough but installing the new one was a son of a gun. I ended up removing the bottom two engine mount bolts and lifting the engine a few inches. That basically gave enough clearance but it was still a bear to get the pump, bolts, and plunger all in the reight place. Ended up looping a piece of waxed lacing cord around the plunger to hold it up. I applied pressure to the cord while the mechanic put the pump into position and got the bolts started. Then I removed the cord and tightened the bolts. Be sure to rotate the engine until the plunger is as high as it can go. I thought I had it but the mechanic showed me that there was still another 1/4 inch or so to be had.

Hope this helps.

I changed the fitting today. In view of the fuel pump scare stories I took the c/s unit off. To do that I had to take both mags off. Apart from a few minutes of dropping washers it was quite easy. Probably a 90 minute job.

Thanks for the advice everyone!