Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

We've got a 6 we bought ready to fly.. The builder used what appears to be aluminum tape on the flaps where they retract into the wing.. This stuff over time has gotten pretty worn and I've seen better installs on other aircraft..

How much headache would I be looking at to pull the flaps and replace the anti-wear strips?

Jeff

Easy afternoon job

I would think getting the old tape off would take the longest amount of time. Flaps come off with just pulling a hinge pin and diconnecting the push rod link. Maybe 15-20 to take off. Maybe 30 minutes to get back on and checked out.

I think the easiest route would be to simply disconnect the flap control linkage and let the flaps hang straight down. That should give access to the tape.

I'll take a look at it when I get home from work tomorrow..

You guys have any recommendations on a more suitable substance to protect from rubbing?

Black UHMW Tape

Once you get the stuff off, you might consider going with Black tape. Most use the clear tape. I was able to source Black, but I had to buy in bulk. I have 175 hours on it and it still looks like new.
The clear will yellow over time and show a lot more wear.
Black works with most color schemes too.

......You guys have any recommendations on a more suitable substance to protect from rubbing?
I would select a type of tape that compliments the finish of the airplane as best it can. Since my plane is mostly polished aluminum, I chose steel tape from J.C. Whitney. All tapes will eventually degrade over time and I agree with Steve the easiest way to gain access is to disconnect the flap linkage and simply let the flap drop to the vertical 90° position. Clean the area thoroughly and apply the tape of your choice.

23iv13t.jpg

Our bird is solid white.. Steel tape may be what the builder used. It has lost it's grip and started to peel, which doesn't look good..

I'll keep an eye out for some tape... I guess I'll crawl under the 6 tomorrow while I'm at the airport.

Thanks for the picture..

What appears to be aluminum tape...

...in all probability is Stainless Steel tape. This is available from Van's accessory catalogue, as well as from others. The SS tape was the "standard" anti-scratch solution...back in the day.

Today, there has been great acceptance to use UHMW tape. It is very transparent, so if the flap is painted, the paint color shows through. Check with Avery Tools ...

As with any adhesive application, taking to old tape off will be the challenge. But before you take the old tape off, check to see where the trailing edge of the tape aligns on the flap. If the existing tape has good alignment with the flaps up (aesthetics), then mark this location on the flap and align the new tape to this mark. Good Luck...

Steel tape may be what the builder used. It has lost it's grip and started to peel, which doesn't look good..

Just a word of warning here, stainless steel tape has been popular in the past for this usage, works well.

But, it can give you a nasty cut in the blink of an eye------

Watch out for the edges of any thin metal.

49clipper

I'll take a look at it when I get home from work tomorrow..

You guys have any recommendations on a more suitable substance to protect from rubbing?

I use UHMD tape from McMaster Carr in Chicago. It is 'ultra high molecular density' clear tape in various widths and is tough as can be. I use it on all places where fairings and metal make contact. It works great for high wear areas even in the engine compartment. Not very costly either.
Jim

McMaster-Carr rocks, I use them to make up throttle body bypass kits I sell for LS1 engines..

I'll get some on my next order!

Thanks guys!!

Jeff